Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Just brought home our 2019 Forester Limited with HK and nav. First time having a touch screen/nav in a car, plus it has android auto (we have android phones), so first time for that too. I'm curious for those of you who have android auto/apple car play, do you find yourselves using it more than the Starlink system? You can make calls through both, get messages through both, navigation through both. Just curious about user experiences, so much to learn on this car!

Best,
John

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
81 Posts
Android Auto all the way. I find Starlink to be slooooow, and it doesn't always launch/work.

Why would I use Android Auto?
-It launches immediately when I need it - worth plugging in the phone.
-SMS/Messages: You can respond and have it transcribe your voice into a message. Starlink only has canned responses if I recall.
-Google Maps (or Waze) are superior to the Starlink - is it Magellan? Regardless, the traffic info in Google Maps/Waze is soooooo good and useful. I use it all the time. Even on a 10 mile commute where I know all the routes, it alerts me to issues/accidents and gets me around them
-The power of Google. Whether using the voice commands for anything, asking it the weather, etc. Its capabilities are so much more.
-Switcing in/out. If I'm listening to Sirius/XM, I might switch screens back/forth from radio to Android Auto. Doing this in StarLink sounds like a recipe for disaster (but I haven't used it much).

Unless Starlink has some specific feature that appeals to you, I would focus on learning / using AA - and even then, there's a good chance any music app in Starlink you like also exists/works on AA.
An Android Auto interface update is coming this summer (the phone drives the AA interface), which looks to improve things even more.

I assume your Android phone(s) are somewhat up-to-date. If you're using a Galaxy S6, or something ancient - that might give you a less-than-ideal experience.

Note: I would not consider buying a vehicle that doesn't have both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. That said, some people just want to listen to the radio, and use build-in navigation. And that's fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Android Auto all the way. I find Starlink to be slooooow, and it doesn't always launch/work.

Why would I use Android Auto?
-It launches immediately when I need it - worth plugging in the phone.
-SMS/Messages: You can respond and have it transcribe your voice into a message. Starlink only has canned responses if I recall.
-Google Maps (or Waze) are superior to the Starlink - is it Magellan? Regardless, the traffic info in Google Maps/Waze is soooooo good and useful. I use it all the time. Even on a 10 mile commute where I know all the routes, it alerts me to issues/accidents and gets me around them
-The power of Google. Whether using the voice commands for anything, asking it the weather, etc. Its capabilities are so much more.
-Switcing in/out. If I'm listening to Sirius/XM, I might switch screens back/forth from radio to Android Auto. Doing this in StarLink sounds like a recipe for disaster (but I haven't used it much).

Unless Starlink has some specific feature that appeals to you, I would focus on learning / using AA - and even then, there's a good chance any music app in Starlink you like also exists/works on AA.
An Android Auto interface update is coming this summer (the phone drives the AA interface), which looks to improve things even more.

I assume your Android phone(s) are somewhat up-to-date. If you're using a Galaxy S6, or something ancient - that might give you a less-than-ideal experience.

Note: I would not consider buying a vehicle that doesn't have both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. That said, some people just want to listen to the radio, and use build-in navigation. And that's fine.
THANK YOU! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
136 Posts
I can’t speak to Android Auto (iPhone user/CarPlay) but I’ve had no issues with STARLINK.

In fact, I use STARLINK over CarPlay because it allows me to control the satellite stations and climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.