Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I'm thinking of Putting a MKIII Cortina body shell on my Forester. What do you think? The length and width aint that different. A nightmare?

·
Registered
05 2.0xt
147 Posts
As Mark says, Anything is possible.. A mate of mine is putting a Mini (a proper one) onto a Sierra Cosworth 4x4 floorpan.. Buy a plasma cutter and have fun...

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,973 Posts
A guy near me was putting a small block chev in a '63 Ford Corsair. He's dead now of course.

Living proof that it can done though. Well, not exactly living....:crazy:

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
How exactly would you do this? The forester is unibody, you would have to fabricate all the suspension, control arm, diff mounts, engine cradle etc from scratch. I don't think you would end up with anything even close to driveable. Also I doubt you could insure, register, MOT etc it afterward!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
You cut the body off the top of the floorpan and vice versa and join the two, its been done a lot over here especially with Sierra 4x4 floorpans....

I would worry about the fornt end, the Sccob engine sticks a long way in front of the front axle line and you still need to package the cooling system.

Simon

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like I would be better off just importing the Engine and gearbox to the Cortina. And scrapping the rest?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Running RWD or 4WD? You'll never use Cortina front suspension with 4WD, you'll probably also struggle to get the flat 4 engine between the narrow Cortina inner wings (Narrow due to the width taken up by the original double wishbone front suspension)....so you'll need to widen the engine bay, new longitudinals and new front suspension I suspect.

Simon

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like more trouble than it's worth really. Am going to investigate my second option. With it's far larger engine bay, A mk4 zodiac might be worth while. But am thinking that the engine may struggle with such a large heavy car. The fossie is going to end up a project of some sorts. I'm just considering options for the new year. One other is turning it into a pickup.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Get a FWD transverse bodyshell, the bay will be wide enough, subaru running gear has already been put under a Focus with just some minor trans tunnel mods, fabricated mounts at the rear, Subaru front X-member on fabricated mounts and using mixed and matched Subaru and ford front end bits.

That or use an Audi shell where the engine/trans layout is similar!

Simon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts