Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into putting a subwoofer into my Forester. I can either buy a new amp for my system or use my old 4 channel. If I don't buy an amp I would buy a set of components for the front doors. I would bridge the one side for the sub and use the other side for the components. I don't know much about amps. First can I use do that to a 4 ch amp? How will it sound driving a sub and a set of components? What are your thoughts? Thank you for your help!

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,123 Posts
You could do that, but there are many factors like; What is the amp rated for watts? Is the amp a 2, 3, or 4 channel meaning it's bridgeable? Most 4 channel amps are like 50 x 4 or maybe 75 x 4 or if they are more than that they are extremely more expensive. Even some of the lower wattage ones if you get a good brand like a JL or something. It should be bridgeable, but will it be enough power for a sub? Also, what kind of sub? What's the sub rated at? Do you have a crossover or is there one in the amp? In other words, we need more info.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could do that, but there are many factors like; What is the amp rated for watts? Is the amp a 2, 3, or 4 channel meaning it's bridgeable? Most 4 channel amps are like 50 x 4 or maybe 75 x 4 or if they are more than that they are extremely more expensive. Even some of the lower wattage ones if you get a good brand like a JL or something. It should be bridgeable, but will it be enough power for a sub? Also, what kind of sub? What's the sub rated at? Do you have a crossover or is there one in the amp? In other words, we need more info.

I plan on installing a Pioneer Shallow 8in subwoofer which is rated at 120W RMS and 800W Max. I don't remember too much about the amp (I am sitting at work right now). I know I had it hooked up to two 10in infinity perfects and I was getting about 175watts to each sub with both sides bridged. I think it was 75 watts X 4 at 4 ohms. It has a crossover built into the amp. I know the amp is too much for the sub so I thought I would just keep it turned down. Thanks again!

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,123 Posts
Sounds like you'd probably be fine then. Just try it, and if you don't like it you can always re-do your system. As long as you're not entering car stereo competitions you can do whatever you like pretty much! Anything you do is going to be much better than the stock system. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
18 Posts
That's exactly how I did my installation. One four channel amp, two channels driving a set of separates up front, the other two channels bridged and powering a sub in the back. My head unit runs the rear speakers for fill. I'm going to post a write up here in a few minutes showing the install...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts