Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 forester xt and today I decided to change my leaking oil cooler O-Ring since it looked simple to do on my own. After watching all the videos on youtube it looked simple enough. So when I pulled the coolant line off it started leaking coolant from the oil cooler but wouldnt stop, looked around for some answers but no one had an answer as to way coolant was coming out. How do I block it from leaking, since I want to take the whole oil cooler off instead of pulling it down and risk not having the o ring seat right. So any tips will be very helpful right now.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,489 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that but its not leaking from the hose its coming out the oil cooler. Not the hose.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
933 Posts
I've done this and you will need to pinch off the lines (2) and remove the in/out hoses to the cooler.
If you want to go the extra mile, you can drain your coolant, save in a clean container to re use later.
But pinching the hoses usually works just fine.

·
Registered
'06 Forester XT 4AET
17 Posts
I've done this job on both my '06 FXT and my son's '05 FXT. Coolant runs into the oil cooler through one hose through the oil cooler and out the oil cooler through the other hose, so you'll need to clamp both hoses to the oil cooler. I drained the radiator both times but you could clamp BOTH hoses going to the oil cooler to do the job. Keep in mind there are four total O-rings/seals in the oil cooler assembly that can be replaced. Who knows if one or all four seals are leaking, so to me while I was in there I replaced all four and both of my Fozzys are still running dry. There is a guy on Amazon that sells all four seals as a set for around $22 just search Subaru oil cooler O-rings and you should find him. Good luck! :grin2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts