Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im new on here and have a question....I have a 2009 Forester (auto). I have always had to ride the brakes as my car accelerates and gains speed (slightly) without touching the accelerator. It struggles to stay in low gears and seems to be geared strange.

Anyway I now have warped the rotors and needs new ones but I dont want to get new ones on before i get the problem sorted but dont know what it is. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? its just weird the way the gears change

Thanks Subie Chik :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
910 Posts
@subie chik If the person that installed the rotors didn't clean all the rust and debris off before putting new rotors on, and the rotors are not sitting true, they may wobble, which can lead to pulsation during braking. Another thing that can happen is that material from the pads is deposited on the rotor, but not evenly, and the friction the pads experience as they travel over the rotor surface isn't consistent because the friction is different over the clean surfaces as compared to the surfaces with pad material on them.

If you look on Google for "pulsation during braking" those are the causes. There isn't really "warped rotors" unless you're talking about the warping caused by the pulsation causing some parts of the rotor to get hotter than others, but then when things cool down the rotor isn't actually warped.

The solution is to not take shortcuts and cleaning the rust off when doing brake jobs.

The car creeping forward is just something that happens with automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
890 Posts
Welcome

.I have a 2009 Forester (auto). I have always had to ride the brakes as my car accelerates and gains speed (slightly) without touching the accelerator.
Just so we understand your car issue fully:
* when engine is warm, say after 10 minutes, what is the idle rpm in neutral or park?
* on an untravelled level side street, let the car accelerate on its own from a stop and note the number of seconds to reach indicated speeds with no accelerator touch; like time to 10, 15, ... mph.
* is your driving urban or rural?

My '99 Forester will crawl in drive, but not to where I ride the brakes at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts