Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
Joined
·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of a good place to get a good alternator upgrade?

thanks!
 

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
30,105 Posts
Actually, the STi alternator is 90 amp while the stock Forester alternator is 75 amp. I upgraded mine to the STi one at the same time I had my auxiliary lighting setup installed, and it handles it all with no problem.
 

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
Joined
·
2,063 Posts
That's what it was.

I remebered it being about a 15amp difference.

I had one in my desk drawer for the longest time before giving it to a co-worker (stereo fanatic) to use on his RS.
 

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
Joined
·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pleiad7 said:
Actually, the STi alternator is 90 amp while the stock Forester alternator is 75 amp. I upgraded mine to the STi one at the same time I had my auxiliary lighting setup installed, and it handles it all with no problem.
nice thanks guys... where did you get the STi alternator? Off a forum? stealership?

thanks
 

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
Joined
·
2,063 Posts
Took mine off a destroyed engine from an STi, SOA sent us a complete crate motor.

Same place I got my intake manifold and valve covers (had them powder coated red like the JDM optional STi ones)

Also have the timing covers. Maybe I'll do up some CF ones like the WRC car.
 

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
30,105 Posts
AChan10 said:
nice thanks guys... where did you get the STi alternator? Off a forum? stealership?

thanks
Got mine from a guy on NASIOC really cheap (like $75).
 

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
Joined
·
5,748 Posts
Hondaslayer said:
I'm sure somehow, some way, some dumb schmuck would find a way to sue SOA after they got jolted.


lol
I'd hope we could get the one that shocks someone. Put it on Sleepy's Forester, and let someone break in then... :Banane36:
 

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
868 Posts
Not to cause a huge debate, but everything I was able to find on the stock FXT alternator rates it at 90 amps, including refrencing the Mitsubishi P/N on the casing.

If you're looking to spend $$$ and get a really good upgrade, I'd recomend Ohio Generator. They did a build for me, and got me a 160 amp (hot) unit for $550, with a very low power band. That price included them having to buy one to rebuild. It's much cheaper to send one in to them to do the build. They're very well known/respected in the car audio community, and something like 160 amp is a walk in the park of them.

Be careful when reading specs, 99% of them will give you the cold amperage, which is generally about 10-20% higher then when it gets up to temp. So make sure you check if it's the hot or cold rating.

*shameless plug*
If you did choose to go that route, I've got a stock one thats in very good condition that I'm looking to sell.

Also, what are you doing to the car that will require an alternator upgrade?
 

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
Joined
·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live up here in the northeast and plan to do some car audio. I just want to make my car as reliable as possible esp. with the cold winters up here!

techy101 said:
Not to cause a huge debate, but everything I was able to find on the stock FXT alternator rates it at 90 amps, including refrencing the Mitsubishi P/N on the casing.

If you're looking to spend $$$ and get a really good upgrade, I'd recomend Ohio Generator. They did a build for me, and got me a 160 amp (hot) unit for $550, with a very low power band. That price included them having to buy one to rebuild. It's much cheaper to send one in to them to do the build. They're very well known/respected in the car audio community, and something like 160 amp is a walk in the park of them.

Be careful when reading specs, 99% of them will give you the cold amperage, which is generally about 10-20% higher then when it gets up to temp. So make sure you check if it's the hot or cold rating.

*shameless plug*
If you did choose to go that route, I've got a stock one thats in very good condition that I'm looking to sell.

Also, what are you doing to the car that will require an alternator upgrade?
 

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
30,105 Posts
techy101 said:
Not to cause a huge debate, but everything I was able to find on the stock FXT alternator rates it at 90 amps, including refrencing the Mitsubishi P/N on the casing.
That's really strange because Roo even confirmed the respective 75 and 90 amp ratings with the Subaru parts helpline when he did the research for my upgrade... :confused:
 

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
868 Posts
Yeah, when I X-Refrenced the Mitsu. P/N that was on the housing with the PFI Manufacturing catalog this is what I came up with. Feel free to do more digging with these part numbers, but like I said, all I have been able to find says 90 amp. I'd like to know for sure.
It's a Mitsubishi Electric Corporation.
23700 AA370
A2TB2891ZC



PFI Part No: A-MI13889

Description: 12V, 90 AMP, Internal Regulator


Replaces OE Unit #
Mitsubishi A2TB2891ZC
Subaru 23700-AA370
Subaru 23700-AA37A
PFI A-MI13889
 

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
868 Posts
AChan10 said:
I live up here in the northeast and plan to do some car audio. I just want to make my car as reliable as possible esp. with the cold winters up here!
As far as starting in the cold, thats all on your battery. I've got an Optima Yellow Top under the hood (I should swap it for a redtop and put the yellow in the trunk) and live in Minneapolis. When were at the last ice race, about 1 hour south of the Canadian border the other week, we had a night in the -20's, and it was about -15 when we got up, and the car started up beautifully.

Can you be more specific about what car audio you're planning on doing?
i.e.
-how many amplifiers, at what rating
-Keeping the stock battery, or switching it out, and with what
-adding a second battery
-any accessory lighting
-and any other electronics that you plan to add to the car

If you know all this before you decide to upgrade your alternator, then you can know what size alternator you'll need, and it won't be just a crapshoot.
 

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
Joined
·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I currently have the alpine mrv-f340 amp powering all my speakers. http://www.mmxpress.com/alpine/alpine_mrv-f340.htm

I plan to put the mrd-605 amp to power up my sbr-s102v subwoofer.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=MRD-M605
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=SBR-S102V

Then after that I'm going to change the stock head unit to the IVA-W200
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W200

And in the future add that aftermarket GPS Navigation from Alpine.

Since I'm up here in the north should I get the redtop or the yellowtop?

I just purchased a STi alternator from some guy off of the nasioc forum

techy101 said:
As far as starting in the cold, thats all on your battery. I've got an Optima Yellow Top under the hood (I should swap it for a redtop and put the yellow in the trunk) and live in Minneapolis. When were at the last ice race, about 1 hour south of the Canadian border the other week, we had a night in the -20's, and it was about -15 when we got up, and the car started up beautifully.

Can you be more specific about what car audio you're planning on doing?
i.e.
-how many amplifiers, at what rating
-Keeping the stock battery, or switching it out, and with what
-adding a second battery
-any accessory lighting
-and any other electronics that you plan to add to the car

If you know all this before you decide to upgrade your alternator, then you can know what size alternator you'll need, and it won't be just a crapshoot.
 

·
Registered
RIP 2005 FXT 5MT
Joined
·
950 Posts
Yeah, if you are going to have more then 600 watts you will need to get a high output alternator. I just got an Iraggi 180 amp alternator through a group buy on www.Caraudio.com . E-mail Dominick Iraggi, let him know that you were refered by Omar and you want a HO amp for your forester. I got mine for $400 and that includes a lifetime warranty (no core needed).
[email protected]

I got the 35D Optima redtop (I think that's the number). It really boosted the electrical system. Also run the Big 3 upgrade (0/2/4 awg cable) alternator to + battery terminal; Ground from - terminal to engine block and the side of your engine bay.
 

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
Joined
·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sr20dehauler said:
Yeah, if you are going to have more then 600 watts you will need to get a high output alternator. I just got an Iraggi 180 amp alternator through a group buy on www.Caraudio.com . E-mail Dominick Iraggi, let him know that you were refered by Omar and you want a HO amp for your forester. I got mine for $400 and that includes a lifetime warranty (no core needed).
[email protected]

I got the 35D Optima redtop (I think that's the number). It really boosted the electrical system. Also run the Big 3 upgrade (0/2/4 awg cable) alternator to + battery terminal; Ground from - terminal to engine block and the side of your engine bay.
thanks a lot man! just e-mailed him
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top