Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's Subie screeches with engine speed. I've pretty well narrowed it down to alternator bearings.
What size bearings go in there? I think its 6303 2RS but can't confirm it. I wanted to get the bearings first and reduce down time.
I considered replacing the whole unit, but the PO dropped something on it and broke a rib off the housing, ruining the core value. So $30 beats $200.

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've never heard of a failed alternator bearing. It must happen, but it must be rare. I would suggest checking the tensioner idler. They are prone to failure. Idler is inexpensive to repalce, or you can press a new bearing into idler.

If indeed it's the alternator bearing, pull the bearing and inspect the bearing for details. I've been able to find replacement bearings from the info on the bearing case.

good luck

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I've never heard of a failed alternator bearing. It must happen, but it must be rare. I would suggest checking the tensioner idler. They are prone to failure. Idler is inexpensive to repalce, or you can press a new bearing into idler.

If indeed it's the alternator bearing, pull the bearing and inspect the bearing for details. I've been able to find replacement bearings from the info on the bearing case.

good luck
Agreed, alternator is pretty rare. Check the tensioner on the A/C belt, they tend to go bad and make quite a racket.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the alternator bearings. The rear alt bearing is a wierd 8x24x16mm and I couldn't find one. Stopped there and didn't find out what the front size was. Remanufactured alt from Auto Zone was $122+50core. Better price than online.
The A/C belt idler bearing wheel is molded onto the bearing. You would have to machine off a plastic lip to replace it and just the bearing itself is $36 from Allied Industrial w/o shipping. The assy from Subaru is $38.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I've got 85k mi and think my alternator bearings are going bad already! Just started over the last few days. Noisy at startup about 1500 rpm; noise seems to be coming from alternator rather than idler/tensioner pulleys or p/s. Gets a lot quiter by 2500 rpm or after briefly warming up and revs below 1000 rpm (normal idle).

Think the last car I had with alternator bearings bad this soon was a '80 Mazda GLC. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
I work at Autozone, and have seen two '98 Foresters come in with bad Alternators (I tested them personally) so it does happen. Luckily the Autozone alt has lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
I would expect it for a '98 with maybe 135k mi or more, but this is a little disappointing. Even a past '93 Suburban alternator made it well over 100k mi before electrically dying. The only thing I can say is I haven't done the drive belts yet because they looked in great shape, so they have probably been replaced once. Perhaps whoever replaced them tightened them too much, leading to the early failure? I do think I at least pushed on them a couple of times after I got the car and thought the belt tension was about right, though. I'll figure out more later.

The 2 previous '00s I've had both made 120k mi + and were still doing great, not new alternator or idlers required.

On the second '00 I did replace one of the timing belt idler bearings because I thought it felt a little funny and it sounded better after I put it back together. I think it was a bad design because it only had a single row ball bearing and the other one had double row, or at least was a lot thicker.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
confirmed today mine is a bearing going bad (removed belt, listened, then reconnected belt). the belt was a little tighter than I would have done it but not extremely tight. guess one has to go early every once in awhile. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2003 Forester
22 Posts
Timing and alternator

Just got my 03 forester back from my mechanic, did my timing belt at 13000 and mentioned a noise in engine when in drive and foot on brakes. He determined that it was alternator. After these repairs I am happy to report that my Forester drives great and I am happy to have found a Subaru inclined mechanic.... if you don't have a mechanic that knows Subaru, try to find one as they will save you money and aggravation.
All in all, my problems have been minimal and my satisfaction with my car rates high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts