Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post here, and I have to admit, it's kind of a strange one. We've all but decided to get a 2014 XT for my wife, and she likes pretty much everything about the car, except for one thing - she hates the wheels. We'll ask the dealer if they'd be willing to swap them out for a different set, but I'm not very optimistic, given how rigid dealers are about the way cars are equipped. Not a huge problem - we can always buy new wheels, but my question is, is there any kind of a market for the stock XT wheels? Anybody out there in need of a set of brand new XT wheels and tires? I say tires, because if we're going to swap the wheels, I'd like to go with 17" (lighter, less expensive tires, etc.). Any advice on this matter? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,710 Posts
Welcome from Pa...I'm clueless. Get a price and then go home to "Think about it" Go back and spring the wheel thing on them. You will need to decide what wheels you want and how much you are willing to spend for them.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
I've never seen a dealer offer up "any wheel change" that wasn't for another OE set from another car.

I've also not seen a "wheel/tire delete" option either.

But if the new Forester can hold a full size spare...there are probably others out there interested in a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
I'm with you on this one, the wheels are pretty ugly but it's an easy fix.

go to tirerack.com, input your vehicle and check out the selection. If you're opting for wheels and tires, they can mount and balance them so all you have to do is mount them on your vehicle when they arrive.

Once you get a new set just throw the old set up on craigslist to offset the cost of the new package.

If you do anything like this through the dealer it will cost an arm and a leg to get what you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I have to agree with my wife (and with Wyldcat89) that the wheels available on the 2014 Foresters aren't the most attractive. And yes, I know it isn't a problem to order a new set, especially for a car like the Forester (unlike my Porsche 968, which comes with an oddball 5x130mm bolt pattern that only fits Porsches, severely limiting my wheel selection - aarrgghh!!!). I guess may main question would be what to do with the original wheels and tires - not sure there would be much of a market for them...

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
Lots of people in West Texas want full size spares. I would keep one(for yourself)...ditch the narrow spare(again on Craigslist).

There is already a thread on here for people that have ditched the narrow spare on the '14.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
Lots of people have aftermarket wheels and want to return their vehicle to stock for trade in, this is where your set would come in handy. Some people prefer to have a second set of wheels with dedicated snow tires mounted.. again, this is where your set would come in. Others might simply want something different. Don't just assume that because you don't like them that no one else will, people will surprise you. Two sets have already sold in the For Sale section... that indicates that there IS a market.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
86 Posts
i would not mind a set for winter tires.. but would not want to pay much more then say a basic set that can be had at tire rack for roughly 400 for rims only.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We just picked up the new Forester today (2014 Marine Blue Pearl XT Touring), and to my great and pleasant surprise, the dealer (Subaru of Georgetown, north of Austin, TX) agreed to swap out the 18" wheels that come standard on the XT with a set of the 17" 5-spoke alloys. We're very pleased, as they're decent looking wheels (MUCH nicer that the very busy 18-inchers, imho), they have a nice open design which should be easy to clean, and it was free! I'm sure they're heavier than a good set of aftermarket wheels, but they'll definitely do for now.

Speaking of weight, does anyone have any idea how much the 18" and 17" wheels weigh? I assume the 17" are somewhat lighter, but it would be interesting to know how much. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts