Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Alternative Seats for 2010 Forester

13K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  gandapanda 
#1 ·
I've just taken delivery of a 2010 Forester X. Like several other posters to this forum I find the driver's seat incredibly uncomfortable and totally unsuited to the long distance driving that I do. I have a 1979 model Recaro seat which will fit with a modified base frame but it obviously doesn't have an airbag. Are WRX seats with airbag an option? Will they bolt straight in? Where would I find one in Australia/
Any help much appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
First, Welcome glad you found us and hope we'll be of some help.
Lot's of great members willing to offer assistance, and you'll probably find somebody local too, that shares your enthusiasm for Foresters.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/ultimate-subaru-seat-thread-53142/

Here's hoping this will be of some help. If any of the seats interest you, I'd suggest seeing if someone local on the various Subaru boards (including here) might be willing to attempt to swap out the passenger seat. That way you'll find out whether the seat bases are the same in the 09-10 model Foresters.

Looks like at a glance that a good starting point would be seats from the 08-10 model Impreza/WRX/STI will bolt straight in. But read through the entire thread for more insight.

Stick around &
Keep us posted
Cheers

#5 ·
impreza seats?

I'd hazard a guess that Impreza seats would be pretty much a bolt in option however I suspect they would be lower in the base (though that maybe able to be swapped) - but would they be any more comfortable? And would their airbags be identical given the different shape/height/properties of the door and bodies are different between the two vehicles?

It maybe better to see an automotive upholsterer and see if you can get your existing seats modified in the base padding the way you want and leaving the airbags etc in place.

#6 ·
I bought a Lumbar support cushion insert made from springmesh ($20) that sits on top of the seat. This has greatly improved comfort on long trips. It doesn't look too bad as it it black on the black seat.
I'll try to take a photo and post it.

#8 ·
My wife bought them at a market, so I don't really know the name of the product or who makes it, and a quick search of the internet doesnt really find much similar.
Looks a bit like this (put "Amazon.com: Black Mesh Lumbar Support: Health & Personal Care" into google search) and this one seems is contoured perfectly to fit the subaru seat - just lucky i guess. It makes the seat so much more comforable.

#9 ·
Matt i saw one of those cushions at an annual "Wood & Timber" market at Maleny recently. i was tempted to buy it, but wasn't sure of its effectiveness or putting it on over the woollen seat strip (seat cover strip). when i see one again i'll buy it and give it a go.

i find the seat comfortable enough. the only thing is i compare it to the wife's Impreza's seat that has "hugging" cushioning around the sides of my back and a little bit of raised cushioning around the side of my thighs. i feel very stable and "hugged" in it, without feeling squeezed. with the Forester's seat i sometimes feel that i slightly slide or roll, from side to side. that's the feeling that i want to reduce. for the back, those black mesh lumbar supports looks like they'll do the job.

#11 ·
I had the same issue as you devans. I tried EVERYTHING.
you need to get a seat with an airbag, otherwise you will have no insurance in the event of an accident.
Recaro make these (overseas) and are VERY expensive. I was even told that if i wanted to fork out the Dollars to get one across it may still be rejected by insurance in the case of an accident.
As others have said you may want to go to look at an automotive trimmer to help.
I tried this... TWICE....
The first attemmpt was to add extra foam and create a good shape to the seat. This didnt work - it actually made it worse.
Second attempt saw a different trimmer remove all the first guys work and add a Recaro "Air Lumbar Support" This is a product that can have air pumped into it or removed to create the ideal support.
Again, this didnt help. After many hours of labour I had gotten nowhere :(
I was fed up of having back problems (as Im a rep and do LOTS of driving) so i decided to trade the car in and get back into an Australian built sedan.
Now I have my FG XR8 and i couldnt be happier.

Oh I might add that the headrest angle is TERRIBLE in the Foz.
The FG Falcon still pokes out a lot further than older cars, but I have been told this is the new design for current model cars (something to do with preventing serious neck/back issues in the event of a crash)
Even thought the headrest on the falcon still sticks out, its nowhere near as bad as the Fozzy was.
I think the designer of the new gen seats at subaru should be fired!!!!
without a doubt the ONLY thing that upset me was the seat and it enforced me to lose even more money and trade in to a different car.

I wish you all the luck in the world trying to find a solution mate. Good luck :)

#13 ·
Lets not turn this into a hate a Falcon thread :shake:

Know where your coming from ADZ XTP, whilst I have no issues with the seats in my XT, having come from a BF XR8 (Lux Pack) the comfort of the XT is inferior especially on long trips.

#15 ·
Hmmm, I wouldnt call the build of my FG "Cheap" as its far superior in every way to the XT-P.
My Forester had so many rattles and major problems (including having to have a new motor due to engine failure on the 1st one) I would never buy one again.
Just before I traded it in, I gave it a wash - only to find the sunroof leaked water all through the roof lining of the car.
If my car has the appeal of a TAXI then at least its a fast, well built, comfortable taxi.

#16 · (Edited)
You misunderstand my use of "cheap". I mean in dollar terms. Not low quality.

The Falcon & Commodore are world class in terms of big, affordable, sedans. They are great for putting in long distance on our variable quality roads. I have taken previous commodores of mine over roads our UK colleagues think are worthy of pictures...

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/green-lane-run-01-08-10-pics-vids-78656/

USA & Japan have gone down the Front wheel drive route for most sedans. Has advantages but a nice drive is not one of them. Also has limits when putting down decent power (180+ KW) USA build quality is still not there.

Europe. They think a Ford Focus is a Family car. It is priced close to a Falcodore.. You need to go to a big Merc, BMW, Audi or Jag to match or better them but at no where near the same price.

Others - Nope.

Could I restate "each to their own"? All cars are compromises. None can be all things to all people. You just have to work out what matters to you.

Ok unleash the flames...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.