Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some advice. My '04 FXT is currently stg2 with a Cobb turbo back exhaust and the Cobb AP2. I'm about to put a catless uppipe on this weekend and i found a local guy who is willing to sell me his VF39 and STI top mount for $500. Should I go ahead and spring for the VF39 and the top mount?

I currently have a stock hood scoop and stock fuel pump and injectors. Would it be worth installing a VF39 and STI TMIC before i get the supporting mods?

I'm looking to keep my car fin and reliable.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
05 XTi FMIC
2,564 Posts
Do it.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Do it, you won't find that deal again, as long as the turbo is in decent shape. I skipped stage 2 and have absolutely no regrets with my vf43.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I too skipped stage 2 and I absolutely love the VF39. It is a nice step up from the TD04 and it holds boost a good deal longer.

You have 550 injectors and should be fine with those and the stock fuel pump. Since your going to be unhooking most the piping anyway to put the uppipe in do the VF39 and STi TMIC at the same time. You'll need a tune, but if you have an AP Cobb has a VF39 map you can run. You wont regret it!

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
I too skipped stage 2 and I absolutely love the VF39. It is a nice step up from the TD04 and it holds boost a good deal longer.

You have 550 injectors and should be fine with those and the stock fuel pump. Since your going to be unhooking most the piping anyway to put the uppipe in do the VF39 and STi TMIC at the same time. You'll need a tune, but if you have an AP Cobb has a VF39 map you can run. You wont regret it!
Yep. The VF39 is worth roughly 50-60whp more than the TD04. You won't be disappointed. The TD04 is far too small for a 2.5L. You will be far happier with the VF39 as it is more appropriately sized.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks my mind is made up, I'm going for it!!! I just need to find a y-pipe and BOV ASAP so I can get this put on soon.... I'll still have to wait another week or 2 to driver her though, since I got rear-ended and my car is in the body shop right now. The good news is my mechanic is pals with my body shop and he's doing work (up-pipe and turbo etc) while the body shop is waiting for additional parts.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
good decision!!! only thing you will need to add to your list is a silicone recirc. hose (bpv/turbo)....I have an extra one, and it will be avail in a few weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts