Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. My name is Art and I'm now and owner of an 01 Forester S.

Although this is my first Suby I do have a little experience with them. I used to race VWs and often my competition was WRX's and STI's. But thats about it. I've always liked Suby's but haven't been in a place in life to own one until now.

I have a pretty good mechanical knowledge and am prepared to take good care of my new car. It has to be running good and safe for my family as I have a baby who is almost a year old and a wife and teenage son too.

This Forester was a great find and I looked at a few Suby's. First was an Outback that I almost bought but the deal went south. Then a '98 Forester but that one was simply not taken care of and had so many problems that I didn't want to get into that deal.

This one was found in Phoenix and was very nice for what it is. About 170,000 miles on it but it's obvious that it was taken care of. I will mention the few problems because I intend to tackle them soon. This car is great for Flag because of the AWD but the car definately needs some new shoes. I already ordered a set of winter wheels with some snow tires for it. That should do well. The set on there now is brand new, but they are street Pirelli's and would do me great in the summer but seem to slide a great deal in the winter here. We just got BOMBED with snow if anyone is watching the news. I was up on my roof today shoveling and it's up to my waist just on the roof (and I'm 6'7" tall).

Originally from Hawaii but have traveled a lot in my time. A military vet and now they are paying my way through college.

So, I'll post in a different area to help me diagnose the few current problems. Nothing is major, and I'm sure they are easy fixes.

When it warms up I am planning some maintenence. Timing belt, water pump and the usual tune up stuff. Plus I've heard that around this mileage that head gaskets can become a problem. No signs or symptoms yet so I'll plan on replacing those in the spring/summer too.

Any other things I should be aware of?

I'm impressed with the car already. Plus she fired right up this morning after sitting for a couple days and getting covered (no kidding, you couldn't even see the thing there was so much snow). Always a good sign, but there is a plug sticking out of the front grill so in the forecast is gonna call for extreme lows I'll just plug her in. The week before xmas we had a couple nights with -23 and -22 temps. Pretty cold.

Aloha

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
ranzuo,
I'm new to Subaru, also. I just want to follow this thread! :biggrin:

Saw the unbelieveable blizzard videos on the Weather Channel! You guys are taking a whipping out west. N. Cal's Mt. Shasta on tv, too, just unreal. Good luck!

Aloha,
Rick

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,859 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your repairs. To help the members help you, add your vehicle information as your "signature". In addition, use the forum "search function" before posting your questions. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Yup, I can walk right up to my roof with no ladder :)

Just got the drive way plowed. It's so bad here that the only things that can plow are large machines like back hoe's or front end loaders.

Several of my neighbors have bobcats or plows on their trucks and they just aren't doing the job cause the snow is so heavy.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
183 Posts
I'll wager you wish you were back in Hawaii.....Just a thought.

We spent 10 days in Maui this past summer. What a place! Best vacation ever!

Rick

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I miss Hawaii. But mostly the ocean. I grew up going into the ocean even as an infant and I wish my baby girl could experience that in the same way. We are gonna try to get back home next year, but it's quite expensive even though I don't have to pay for a hotel or food really.

I'm in Flag finishing my degree and probably won't live here much after that. If I do stay in Arizona I will move down the mountain some to where it's a little warmer. I don't mind the seasons and the cold, but this is a bit much. I live right next to the ski area here, so we get even more than downtown Flag gets.

Maui is nice but is becoming over commercialized like Oahu is. I enjoy the Big Island because not only is my dad's farm there, but it is much bigger and has more to offer that the other islands don't. However there is nothing like the waves on Oahu. Maui doesn't have that, even though it does have the biggest ridden waves in the world, I'm not into big wave surfing. Just cruizin on some 4-6 foot (Hawaiian scale) sets makes me very happy.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Auto
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, my aunt lives in Alden, not far from Darien Lake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts