Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, as the title states, I almost drowned my Foz in almost 3 feet of thick, goopy mud. How? Well, I didn't even know there WAS mud there. I was driving along, and came across this area that I was driving over. It was a huge area, so I thought nothing of it.....

So driving across this area, there wasn't a trace of mud. I was sort of bummed because I wanted to get the Foz a little muddied up.....maybe I shouldn't "hope" so hard in the future. I came across this other area that had the signature "there used to be mud here, but it's dried up now" flacky crust........

I proceed to drive, thinking about where to do next. I was about half way across when the Foz just suddenly drops, and I mean hard. It felt like it just cracked the ice on a lake and was sinking. Scare the living hell out of me. All I remember seeing was the front end submerge into this thick, sticky mud. I started to freak, and looked down at the doors to make sure it wasn't seeping in yet. Luckily it wasn't. I tried to floor it forward, but the car sounded very bogged down and wouldn't budge forward. I started to panic. I threw it in reverse and floored it, the engine acting like I was trying to tow the moon. I even remember seeing bubbles of mud behind me as my exhaust was completely buried in this horrifying stuff.

Slowly, the car being to creep itself out backwards as I was screaming at the top of my lungs (like it was going to help), "COME ON! COME ON!". I get to the edge, the back end started to climb out......and about 30 seconds later, with me still screaming, the Foz finally pulled herself out.

Relieved (and still rather shocked), I got out to survey the damage. Sitting in the car, it looked a lot worse that it really was, but still, falling into a mud pit all of the sudden felt like you were being sucked into the middle of the earth. I actually felt the car sinking a little when it first happened. I even considered bailing out the sunroof as I had no idea how deep this was or how far it would sink.

After the car came crashing in.....

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,066 Posts
glad you made out of it.....
maybe it's time for some new tires.....?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
glad you made out of it.....
maybe it's time for some new tires.....?
Tires and a snorkel. I'm glad the drivers side dipped further in than the passenger side or I would have been screwed. I had to take out the front wheel well linings off as there was a ton of mud under there, and the mud line was literally about an inch away from the intake. :icon_eek:

The odd thing is that it's been about 70 degrees here and it hasn't rained for a couple of months now, so I was shocked where was still even mud left (and that much).

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Oh man. That must be a scary feeling. Nice that the foz managed to reverse up from there. :biggrin:
+1 for better tires for this kinda driving

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
That's awesome!
Nice work getting out of it.

·
Registered
2006 subaru forester 2.5
83 Posts
alone in the desert, not prepared for anything (well, a foz iz all you need, one may think)...hmm, that could be me, except there are no deserts in my country :)

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 for better tires for this kinda driving
No doubt. Though, my little Geolanders did fairly well though. I was extremely impressed they even got me out of it. I'm usually very careful avoiding deep "mud pits of hell" and knowing what I can/can't get out of, but this sort of just "fell" into my lap, so to speak. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Absolutely classic!
Glad you got her out without needing a tow or major damage.:biggrin:
(I've been there,I know)

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Thats scary and awesome at teh same time. =) Go Blue Fox! I would have freaked out big time. And you got a real reaaal muddy foz like you wanted! lol

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alone in the desert, not prepared for anything
Not really alone, there were a couple other people wheeling around that area, one of which saw the whole thing and rushed over just as I got out. Not to mention, just over the birm was my old roommates' neighborhood. 40-second sprint and I would have been at his front door. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
DUDE. EPIC.

WELL DONE!

That's totally awesome. You're gonna tell that story for years. If you don't have the breathers on your diff, I'd check the fluid. Bet you got some crud in there. Easy to swap and not pricey, cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
alone in the desert, not prepared for anything (well, a foz iz all you need, one may think)...hmm, that could be me, except there are no deserts in my country :)
Might I recommend you not assume things like this? I trust Fox to be prepared, you have no idea what he was carrying with him. In the end, he has shown that he was in a well used area very close to civilization, and didn't go into detail what his recovery kit carries.

I do hope to wheel with him sometime!

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
Excellent recovery on your part, and man those pics are an advertisement for Subaru if I ever saw one.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Wow that's an amazing story! Great pics too! I'm glad you made it out alright, I probably would've freaked and ended up in the muddy pits of hell haha

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^ A long time.

This whole incident happened yesterday, so I stopped off at a car wash place and used their pressure-washer to clean off the wet mud before it could dry. That took $10 and 30 minutes.

Then I went out there today to get the rest of it off underneath and inside the engine bay, that took 6 hours total (and I know there's still more under there).

Yeah, cleaning off mud......not fun.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts