Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any tips on cleaning the alloy wheels. Preferrably an easy to get product from say K-Mart, and does not require a serious hosing down now that we have water restrictions.

I just used a sponge and water today - could've used soapy water. I noticed on the standard MY06 XSL wheels, the rims go in rather deep.

G

·
I use eagle A to Z Wheel Cleaner, which is available at Kmart, Safeway, etc for around $8-12 a bottle, depending if it is a sale item or not

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that a spray on, foams up, then hose off kinda deal? Is it effective?

·
Registered
10 Posts
broadbean said:
Just wondering if there are any tips on cleaning the alloy wheels. Preferrably an easy to get product from say K-Mart, and does not require a serious hosing down now that we have water restrictions.

I just used a sponge and water today - could've used soapy water. I noticed on the standard MY06 XSL wheels, the rims go in rather deep.
Ive just bought armourall wheel cleaner from auto cheap
the kitchen brush and water trick drives me nuts on these my06 wheels.
Will let u know how it works.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Never had a problem cleaning wheels. I just use a mitt and soap when I wash the car. The secret is to wax the wheels a couple of times a year. Everything almost just rinses off.

G

·
broadbean said:
Is that a spray on, foams up, then hose off kinda deal? Is it effective?
Spray on, Hose off... You need to hose it off about 30 seconds after you apply it, or it streaks the brake dust onto the rims...

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked out a few of these, all seem to require hosing off, some even before application. Gone are the days when you wouldn't really care, now that you have to be careful with hosing you car when water restrictions are in place...

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I actually just get down on my knee's with a brush/rag and the soap water from washing the car and just use that

even though I dont have alloys.. that's what I do on our jeep/accord/civic

G

·
I'd say definitely wax the wheels a couple of times you could even clay bar them then wax them. I use a mild soap and a mit fort he rims, I would never use anything to hardcore on the rims, in time it could strip a painted rim of its color.

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or painting them black and just forget about washing them altogether! :D

It's only when the front wheels are dirtier than the back that makes them obviously dirty at a glance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts