Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friends car....alloys were put on in the spring when the snow tires came off. Now a couple of the wheels are stuck to the rotors. Really stuck.

I got one freed by putting a little wd-40 between the wheel and rotor and pounding a screwdriver between the rotor and rim. I got away with that since the rotor face was wider than the rim's mating surface.

Not so lucky in the front, as the rotor face is smaller than the rim's so I can't get any leverage that way. I've tried kicking, whacking it with a mallet, and lots of cursing. So far no luck with all three.

A couple of the sites I looked at recommended loosing the lug nuts, putting them back on finger tight then either driving it around the driveway while turning the steering wheel left and right, or accelerating slightly and jamming the brakes on.

Does anyone thing those are reasonable things to try? Or can somone offer up their opinions on the best method to do free the rim from the rotor? I really don't want to screw up the alloy rim.

Also, what's the best way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Jack the tire off the ground and use rubber mallet hit the center, and then the outside of the wheel, hit the inside tire wall and they should come off.
It is like the center of the wheel and the lugnut area rusted and got stuck.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Beating it off from the inside is the best option, but if you must, you could loosen the the lugs a little, put the car down, and turn the wheels back side to side. That may help. Do not drive anywhere. That will ruin the wheels quickly. Next year, put some antiseize on the wheel mating surface before installing.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
^ That's what I do, too - a thin coat of anti-seize between the hub and wheel mating surfaces.

Prior to learning this trick from my snow-bound friends, I used to brace up against something (a curb will do), and do a leg-press, with both feet on the tire - a quick couple of kicks to shock it, too. :smile:

·
Registered
2004 2.5XT
42 Posts
I wouldn't suggest doing this on a nice fozzy. But when my old jeep cherokee's wheels got stuck to the hub and a mallet wouldn't work, I'd loosen the lugs ever so slightly.. then drive in reverse and slam on the brakes.. worked like a charm every time.. BUT,i wouldn't recommend this if its a nice vehicle:tongue:

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Many thanks for all the replys. First thing this morning I got some anti-seize compound and remounted the two I put on yesterday. 15 minutes well spent.

Both the fronts were indeed frozen tight. This time I got it on the jack took my 5 lb sledge hammer and gave the tire a moderate strike at 4 evenly spaced points on the outside portion, just to get its attention. Then I climbed under the car and was able to give it a single one handed swing to the inside of the tire and off it came.

Used my Dremel tool with a wire wheel to clean off all the crud then applied some anti-seize to the contact points on the inside face of the rim. All told, with remounting the rears, getting the fronts off and the rotors cleaned up (I cleaned up the rears yesterday), mounting the fronts and cleaning everything up after they were torqued and the pressure set, only took about an hour.

I fudged around longer than that with the one rear wheel yesterday.

Again many thanks for the rapid replies, just another reason why I feel this is the most supportive forum on the web.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
If it happens again, there's no danger to un-snug the lug nuts and drive a very slow figure 8. That usually gets the wheels free.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,886 Posts
This happened to me a year or two ago. I bought a gear puller cheap at Harbor Freight and it did the job. Aligning it was a bit of a challenge as it has three legs and isn't a good match for the five holes in my rims, but I managed.

Anti-seize all the time now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts