Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 39 year old Army Sergeant who started looking into a Subaru Forester.
Have never owned a Subaru before but i have had an eye on the Impreza Turbo's for many years now.

I'd never thought i'd look into a Forrester as i thought they are just boring and ugly to look at, but advise from a friend who actually owns one made me think again, as a matter of fact i think kinda 'growing' towards the concept.

I hope to find some usefull information concerning Tuning the Forester S-turbo versions (99 model) as far as performance is concerned and altering it's appearance.

There's no doubt when it comes to the newer STI models in white, they are just great and sporty and kinda remind me of the days that the GMC Typhoon came out !
However the 99 model still reminds me of soccer moms but i'm sure that maybe a set of different rims, some lowering and other upgrades could give it that tough look.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
593 Posts
Welcome aboard Bomber. I have an original '98 in black and I think the older moderls look less like soccer mom transports than the newer ones. They are rugged cars and if maintained and not beat on the street will last you a lon long time.

BTW...where are you stationed ?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,196 Posts
Welcome, Sergeant, and thanks for your service to the country.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XL AT
171 Posts
I'm a 39 year old Army Sergeant who started looking into a Subaru Forester.
Have never owned a Subaru before but i have had an eye on the Impreza Turbo's for many years now.

I'd never thought i'd look into a forester as i thought they are just boring and ugly to look at, but advise from a friend who actually owns one made me think again, as a matter of fact i think kinda 'growing' towards the concept.

I hope to find some usefull information concerning Tuning the Forester S-turbo versions (99 model) as far as performance is concerned and altering it's appearance.

There's no doubt when it comes to the newer STI models in white, they are just great and sporty and kinda remind me of the days that the GMC Typhoon came out !
However the 99 model still reminds me of soccer moms but i'm sure that maybe a set of different rims, some lowering and other upgrades could give it that tough look.

Thanks for reading.
Hello and welcome.
I can't help you with the majority of your questions as I have a MY '09 N/A.
I did want to say "Thank you for your service" on behalf of all us.
Regarding the Soccer Mom issue, if you find the right one give her a ride.
Good Luck,
Red

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Welcome along! Don't sweat the appearance of the car. Its overall capabilities more than make up for any shortcomings on the outside.

Regarding the Soccer Mom issue, if you find the right one give her a ride.
The Forester or the soccer mom? :icon_wink:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,216 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your Forester search! Post up a picture when you find one. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you folks !

I'm stationed in Europe, and on contrary to what most would think i'm not American but Dutch. I serve for the Royal Dutch Army.
I did work with the US Army frequently on my recent tour (been there twice) in Afghanistan and they make a great Ally.
I appreciate the way the Americans support their troops and actually thank them for serving, it's heartwarming ! That's something you won't see in Europe.

Anyway, i'm starting to grow (and lean) towards the Fozzy SF5 more and more.
I looked in the gallery section where they are actually categorised by color (great idea !) and this has given me confidence that they can be 'tweaked' in many ways.

I'm now going to look into upgrading that S-turbo engine, i know it's basicly the Impreza Turbo engine with just a smaller turbo and different heads but i've heard that they can be upgraded to make 250+ hp and plenty of torque.

I'll keep you guys posted !

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
for me its not so much where you are from, its more about what you are doing, so even tho you are Dutch thank you for your service, and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,216 Posts
Anyone that serves to keep us safe from the bad guys deserves our thanks! :smile:

I purchase my present project Forester last year (July/09), moving from my highly MODded '03X, which I passed to my son. For me the power MODs are towards the end of my MODding, wanting to do the suspension & nice to have MODs first. :cool:

Before you get too far along on your MODding, make sure you start your own Member Journal. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,196 Posts
OK, then it's "Thanks for your service to our countries!"

Try to get good maintenance history when you shop for your Forester. The pre-2003 models were susceptible to head gasket problems though stable once fixed, and you could also be in for a timing belt change. The spec on that in the US is 105k miles, though we've seen some indication that it might be lower in Europe. Ask around in the Europe Forum for more details.

·
Super Subie Fan
2004 Forester XT 6spd MT (2005 STI)
287 Posts
Hello from Virginia! Good luck on your search for info, I found lots of good advice here! Love the Subaru, don't think you can go wrong with one!

Oh, and cause I have to... GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY:bananapowerslide:

:biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts