Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Please be patient, I have no automotive or electrical skills, though willing to try to learn. Recently all the windows stopped working. I think, can't remember for sure, that the drivers side stopped working first, followed by all the others. None of the electrical window switches on any door will work. All windows are stuck in up position, boy it gets hot in there.

Door locks don't work either from driver side, though do work from the passenger side and from the key ring.

I have a 1999 Forester. Went to the parts store, manuals start at 2000 and more recent. They didn't really help with diagnosis, just changing parts.

Any help appreciated!
IMF

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,727 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,727 Posts
Bobby, what years/models do those schematics cover? (n00b question) My day job is electronics and I love looking over that sort of thing.

Thanks!
Says 1999-2002, came with the 2003-2004 technical manual that I needed for our '03 X.:smile: I have to say the 2003-2004 diagrams are much easier to read. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which fuse?

Hi. Which fuse? None in the manual are listed as anything to do with windows. I tried #3, which was power door locks. I looked fine, so didn't help. Actually made things worse, temporarily. The lights started flashing. I disconnected the battery and it stopped. Will have to hook it back up sometime, hope it goes back to normal.

Anyhow, anyone have any idea which fuse?

Thanks,
IMF

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Welcome Doglover. I had a 99 before so maybe this will be of help. Could you have accidently pushed the button that locks the operation of windows? Have you replaced your remotes battery lately? If not it might be time. The button to lock the windows, is the square button on the upper left of the window controls, it has an X on it, try pushing that (it should be in the up position to operate) and see if the windows work. It actually only locks the passengers windows and rear seat windows so little kids don't open them and escape. Also try swapping the fuse with another one, I think many of us have looked at a fuse that was actually bad but didn't look like it. When you reconnect the battery the parking lights will begin to flash as well as the instrument panel, you can press your remote (if the remotes battery is good) to reset or there is a little recessed button down by the change/fuse cover that you can press to reset, if you run your hand along the bottom around there you'll feel it. I don't know what might be preventing your drivers side from working since the window lock allows the drivers window to operate. You might want to look at the wiring loom as it exits the door, maybe there is a loose or uncovered wire that is grounding out when the door is closed. Good luck

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More details

Thanks, using the key button did stop the flashing.

I still don't know which fuse to check, since there is no indication about windows. Anyone know?

More details:
The side view mirrors do work properly.
None of the window controls on any of the four doors work. Doesn't matter if the window lock button is on or off.
Door locks button does not work on driver door, but does work on the passenger door. Remote works fine.

Thanks,
IMF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts