Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a power window issue on my 2003 Forester X that I couldn't find covered in other threads on the forum. The power windows have stopped working on all doors, including the drivers door, using either the switch on each door or from the drivers main switch. When I press the drivers door window button, I hear either werring, squealing or clicking noises in the switch. The noise seems to be coming from a relay in that switch (a green plastic sealed unit made by Nissan). So far I've tested the following:

- The power window lockout button isn't on (an obvious one).

- Tried to check the fuse but there isn't one for this circuit.

- Fitted a new drivers control window switch, but had the same result (& luckily could return for a refund).

- The window circuit breaker & relays (providing power to open/close relay switch) on a voltmeter & they work OK.

- Disconnected window switches on all doors & tried to operate from the drivers door.

- I removed the door trim to see if there was anything obviously wrong like a disconnected wire and tried moving the window mechanism in case it was jammed.

- Disconnected/reconnected the battery.

- I still need to test the power supply to the drivers window motor.

The result of all this is that nothing has changed! I could take it to an auto electrician but I'm concerned that it could be a costly repair if they can't find it in a hurry. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any ideas on what is causing it?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
Do the window switches illuminate on all the doors? Can you hear it "trying" to work, or any sort of clicks from the dash or doors when you try to operate any of the switches?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi BF. Yes, the lights illuminate but dim when the window button is pressed. The only noise is the werring, squealing or clicking noise in the switch when the drivers door switch is pressed. On the other doors, the light dims but there isn't any noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update on this: With the ignition on I tested the power supply to the drivers door switch (black & black green wires) & there was voltage, however no voltage showed from the two wires (blue/blue red) that go to the window motor when I pressed the button, but the switch still made noises. The natural conclusion is that the switch is faulty, however I tried a brand new switch & it also made noises but didn't make the window work. My only thought now is that the current is weak (I forgot to see what it was, just that there was current). In the mean time, any ideas?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Have you looked at your battery connections and ground connections to be sure they are clean and tight?

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Just a heads up, if you disconnect the switch to say, the passenger window; when you try to open / close that window from the driver side control, it will not work regardless; the switch needs to be connected to the window in which you're trying to open or close.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I checked the battery connections and they are good. There definitely is power available to each switch - my multimeter is an old analogue one that is hard to read, but I think it shows about 14V. I tried running a wire from the earth wire on the switch (black) to a conductive part of the door frame but it still didn't work. I think its time to admit defeat & get the auto electrician to sort it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's an update on this power window issue - I fixed it:woohoo: I didn't take the car to an auto electrician in the end (I'm too tight with money for that:icon_biggrin:). To cut a long story short the cause was the power window relay. It was closing when powered on (ignition key on) & current was flowing through it, but not enough. Not wanting to spend $85.10 (Aus) :icon_eek: for a replacement from Subaru, I pulled the dust cover off the relay & although there was a bit of black dust next to the points, they looked OK. I thought it must have been the resistor but that was OK, so I cleaned the points with some fine wet & dry paper and finally, the windows worked again! I've attached a photo of the relay with dust cover removed & the points that needed cleaning (marked with red arrow). An identical relay is also used for the flashers & a few other components. BTW, for RHD cars, these relays are located to the right of the fuse box under the dash but you have to remove the lower dash panel to get to them. I hope this helps others with this or a similar problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 WRX SL
1 Posts
Just few days ago runned in to a same problem. Thanks for your help problem fixed. Thanks a lot

Wysłane z mojego D5803 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
2012 Forester Automatic
1 Posts
I know your post is old but I am having the same problems - where might I find the relay that you are referring to please, I have searched online and in manuals but cannot locate it. I dont' want to spend A$600 to have things fixed. Have tried another main switch and I still get the clicking and intermittent interuption to the drivers window. thanks Angela

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,741 Posts
See this post for a member's report on finding a $4.10 relay at Digikey that is identical to the $84 'genuine' Subaru relay used in 4 different spots in his Forester.

No guarantee that this particular relay is the one you're dealing with, but the concept certainly could apply.

@oneroo - Can you help identify this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts