Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 xt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got an '04 xt with a hundred thousand miles on it. Just recently got a new set of Michelins all around, which i love....

Last year I got my alignment fixed, and it drove straight as an arrow for a bit. Presently it's back to steering a bit to the right, needing to be steered to the left to go straight... is it common to have alignment go out a little bit after only a year?

How often do you guys fix your alignment?
How picky are you about tracking perfectly straight?
What causes out of alignment? Potholes? Hard right hand cornering?

Thanks,

r.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
The site won't allow links to TireRack but google tirerack alignment and you'll find a very informative page with lots of other links.
For me as a general rule, I get the alignment checked once a year (overkill to some) and any time I buy new tires.
General wear and tear of tires and road conditions can have an effect on alignment as well as suspension wear and related components.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Wear and tear on tyres doesn't affect alignment!

Pulling to one side can just be an underinflated tyre, should always be your first check really!

Simon

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Depends on how and where you drive. I have found that for me checking alignment at least once a year is pretty much a requirement.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Steering rack bushings need replacing?

I align once a year too.

...but that's because I've been changing suspensions once a year :lol:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Alignment settings shouldn't change unless you bend tie rods or struts. As tires wear differently due to your driving style and other things, the car may start pulling to one side -- happens to my car. It's not a bad idea to have an alignment check once a year, I get my car realigned at least that often, but for same reason as Neoshi.

Stan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts