Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my son's dedicated gaming computer. To stay on the cutting edge, we've upgraded this computer many times & I'm sure there will be more upgrades!

The Table of Contents to this Ultimate Gaming Computer journal can be found at the bottom of this first post. It makes it easier to skip over the chitchat.

Bobby...

Here's how the Alex's Ultimate Gaming Computer looked before it was moved out of my office/computer lab/shop into the Video Game Room - January 2019!

Updated - January 27, 2019

The construction of the Ultimate Gaming Computer & how we got to this latest build is documented in this journal.

► System Specifications ▼ Updated - January 27, 2019
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit - full retail boxed version.
  • Thermaltake Level 10 GT - EATX Full Tower Case (Black) - VN10001W2N.
  • Intel Core i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.6GHz (Turbo 4GHz) LGA 2011 130W Extreme Desktop Processor - BX80633i74960X.
  • Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 quiet CPU cooler - Intel LGA 2011 Socket with 6 heatpipes, 140/120mm SSO bearing PWM fans - NH-D14 SE2011.
  • EVGA X79 Dark motherboard (150-SE-E789-K2) - LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard.
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory - F3-2133C9Q-32GXH.
  • Video card - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11 GB GDDR5X iCX technology - 11G-P4-6696-KR.
  • Custom dual analog/digital temperature displays, details here. These monitor the internal case & video card exhaust temperature.
  • Main SSD - solid state drive - Kingston HyperX 3K, 240 GB. ◄ The Windows operating system resides on this SSD.
  • Second SSD - solid state drive - Kingston HyperX Savage, 240 GB installed. ◄ Star Citizen is be installed on this SSD.
  • Cloned backup SSD - solid state drive - Kingston HyperX 3K 240 GB.
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD - hard disk drive - total of 6 hard disk drives. 3 main + 3 cloned backup hard disk drives.
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD2003FZEX 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD - hard disk drive - total of 2 hard disk drives. 1 main + 1 cloned backup hard disk drive.
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD5003AZEX 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. ◄ Photo & MP3 collection storage.
  • Enermax EMK5101 - hot swap bay for easy HDD/SSD cloning.
  • Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA internal optical d -24B1ST.
  • IO Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Controller Card Marvell Non-Raid - SI-PEX40064. ◄ We needed 3 more nonRAID SATA ports!
  • Rosewill USB 3.0 memory card reader - RDCR-11003
  • OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom.
  • ViewSonic FuHzion 120 Hz, 22" widescreen LCD monitor - VX2265wm.
  • Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Aircraft-Grade Aluminum - CHERRY MX Brown, RGB LED.
  • Razer Ouroboros Elite abidextrous gaming mouse.
  • Koss GMR-540-ISO closed-back gaming headphones.
Alex's Ultimate Gaming Computer ► Table of Contents
['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm... Microsoft was saying Windows Vista was the greatest & it's turned out to be crap! Windows XP Professional, not the cheapo Home Edition, has been rock solid in my builds. I'm sticking with what works now & move onto what I have to...

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for this Ultimate Gaming Computer thread can be found ► here. (post #1)

·
Super Moderator
35,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hawt setup but I'm more of an AMD man, cheaper and faster usually just wanna make you sure you are plenty cool.
I was into AMD at one time, but Intel has been rock solid for me. I used to overclock as well, but it's not needed anymore.

The new Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz has a great feature for overclockers, Intel didn't lock the multiplier on this processor!

It seems the video is the big power user now. The video board on this build requires a minimum of 40 amps on the +12 volt rail!

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for this Ultimate Gaming Computer thread can be found ► here. (post #1)

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
For an ultimate gaming machine, Vista has the advantage of DirectX10.

·
Super Moderator
35,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
Yeah, DX10 probably slows things down a bit in its quest for beautiful graphics. Like everything else in life, there's a trade-off; in this case it's beauty versus speed. I prefer speed since the best-looking game is unplayable if it runs like a slide-show.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hawt setup but I'm more of an AMD man, cheaper and faster usually just wanna make you sure you are plenty cool.
I bet alot of people used to agree with that statement, i know all my friends and i would've agree'd with you a few years ago, but AMD really seems to have dropped the ball in the latest generation of processors. I've got a Q6600 to replace my old X2 4200, and it's awesome. It runs cooler, it's more efficient, and most importantly it's way faster then the AMD's in the same class.

Might i suggest for the processor, a nice Tuniq CPU cooler, or Thermalright XP120 Xtreme. I've got a Tuniq on my Q6600 OC'd to 3.0, and underload I pull at max 90*F, so my little 6600 will be serving me well for years to come.

Oh and Also a KazeMaster Fan Controller. My EVGA motherboard had a northbridge Chipset fan that was terribly noisy, the KazeMaster Gave me control of that with a Temp readout along with Fan Control and Temp read out for 3 other components in my system, and it simple but looks pimp in the top DIN slot of my case... Check it Out:

I recently unloaded my eVGA mobo because I didn't research it enough and it wasn't the right board for me, so I replaced it with a nice Gigabyte mobo with no Northbridge fan, so i'm only running my Tuniq fan at 1050rpms, and it's keeping my processor at a cool 87*

·
Super Moderator
35,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think the motherboard fan noise will be a problem. There are already 3 case fans, one on the video card & of course the power supply fans.

The heatsink & fan that comes with the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz is huge, considering it's OEM/factory provided cooling!

Bobby...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
My gaming computer is now 4 years old, honestly I haven't been keeping up with the newest best processors because I don't really game anymore. My AMD setup still works great and back then I paid hundreds less than the comparable intel cpu.

800Watt Cooler master Case
AMD 64 4000+ CPU
1Gig Ram Kingston
Radeon 800XT vid card
80gig seagate HD

Meager setup for now and days gaming, but I occasionally play FEAR Combat with max settings and it still runs smooth.

·
Super Moderator
35,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe that's how old Alex's gaming computer is. The problem was the video card interface moving from AGP to PCI Express. The Intel P4 3GHz CPU still have plenty of life, but you can't get a better video card to keep up with the gaming software. You can bet I'll get the "hand-me-down" & you won't hear me complaining about it... 😄

On this build my son will install the the hardware (the fun part) & I'll install the operating system (not fun... boring!). After the system has been performance tested, it'll be back to my son to install the his gaming software & tweak the video graphics (optimize to his gaming).

Bobby...

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The main thing I need to know for my next build is the best bang-for-the-buck motherboard to get to run one of the intel Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processors, that will also allow either SLI (nVidia) or Crossfire (ATI)-- one or the other of course.

On the other hand, I might get a laptop instead, since I want to start a Rosetta Stone language course and mobility i.e. not being tied down to same room same desk might make the learning process more enjoyable... like to be able to sit out on my deck with the laptop and studying the course that way when spring/summer arrive.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I believe that's how old Alex's gaming computer is. The problem was the video card interface moving from AGP to PCI Express. The Intel P4 3GHz CPU still have plenty of life, but you can't get a better video card to keep up with the gaming software. You can bet I'll get the "hand-me-down" & you won't hear me complaining about it...:)

On this build my son will install the the hardware (the fun part) & I'll install the operating system (not fun... boring!). After the system has been performance tested, it'll be back to my son to install the his gaming software & tweek the video graphics (optimize to his gaming).

Bobby...
Yeah, I love my vid card (pci express). I love building computers too, the software on the other hand gets boring clicking next next next, and "No I don't want to install Microsoft XXXXXXX retarded ware right now, but maybe later you can bug me", lol. Make sure he doesn't zap any boards in this drier winter weather (well it's very dry here). My dad shocked the sound card in another PC from the outside while plugging things in and it fried instantly.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The main thing I need to know for my next build is the best bang-for-the-buck motherboard to get to run one of the intel Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processors, that will also allow either SLI (nVidia) or Crossfire (ATI)-- one or the other of course.

On the other hand, I might get a laptop instead, since I want to start a Rosetta Stone language course and mobility i.e. not being tied down to same room same desk might make the learning process more enjoyable... like to be able to sit out on my deck with the laptop and studying the course that way when spring/summer arrive.
Keep in mind the general rate for a laptop of the same spec desktop is 2 to 1 if not more, I would advise getting a very lean laptop (light with good battery life) if you just want mobility. I have an old Toshiba satellite that I enjoy for doing school work, got it used for 300 bucks. My fiance has an Acer that works great also, I would recommend both brands.

·
Super Moderator
35,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're into building your own computers, I'd send you here Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews

I have a friend that's into hardware way more than me, so I let him search out the cutting edge hardware. He was all for running dual ATI video cards in a crossfire configuration, but this video card Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards is the cutting edge now. I don't know what will be hot next week...:)

Personally, the only time I use a laptop is when I'm programing the SMT6 (smart tuner) in my '03. For that I use an old obsolete HP OmniBook.

Bobby...

·
Super Moderator
35,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I love my vid card (pci express). I love building computers too, the software on the other hand gets boring clicking next next next, and "No I don't want to install Microsoft XXXXXXX retarded ware right now, but maybe later you can bug me", lol. Make sure he doesn't zap any boards in this drier winter weather (well it's very dry here). My dad shocked the sound card in another PC from the outside while plugging things in and it fried instantly.
I'm always getting static shocks, so I always use a static control strap when I work on circuit boards.

OT... this makes me think back to when I was replacing the fuel pump in my '03. Knowing how I'm always getting static shocks, I though for sure I'd blow myself up! I suspect crawling into the tire well & working from there drained all the static from my body...:)

Bobby...

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
26 Participants
2.5x_sleeper
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing