Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
161 - 180 of 371 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Thanks Brian! :biggrin:

I try to take lots of pictures. I hate it when I finish a project & I missed taking pictures of some important steps. It makes it difficult to do a decent write up & it's not always possible to go back to get those missing pictures. :frown:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
The AVO turbo kit reinstallation project is complete! The engine is ready to start, but we wanted to install the new A/F gauge first, so we spent the evening installing the gauge panel & it looks sweet in operation! We did the first time power up testing & the free air wideband O2 sensor calibration. :icon_eek:

The A/F gauge controller & wideband O2 sensor cables need to be secured under the Forester tomorrow & then we'll fire it up. :cool:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 · (Edited)
Teaser picture... AVO Turbo Kit installation complete!

No video, but have lots of pictures & write ups to follow. :wink:

BTW, in preparation for the initial start up, I looked for the fuel pump fuse. There was none to be found! :confused: I had to unplug the fuel pump relay located on the passenger side, under the glove box on the fender side. Since I already had the glove box out to access the ECU, it was no biggie. :smile:

I need to secure the A/F gauge LC-1 controller under the Forester (what the wideband O2 sensor plugs into) & the Forester will be started. More to follow... :icon_eek:

Bobby...
Here's a teaser picture of the finished installation, ready to be started for the first time!

Related posts:

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Thanks Brian! :biggrin:

We started it up today. We did a few engine cranks (no spark or fuel) to get the oil into the turbo bearing. Finally we did a full start & it fires right up! Found one slight leak on the high pressure oil feed to the turbo where it's tapped off at the front oil gallery (where the oil pressure switch is). I need to tighten the -4 AN fitting, but with the alternator in place, I need a 9/16" crows foot wrench. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 · (Edited)
AVO Turbo Kit re-installation - PROBLEM! - oil seepage? - Part 1

The AVO Turbo Kit reinstallation is complete, but we're trouble shooting one minor problem, oil seepage on the high pressure turbo oil line on the source side. I'd prefer no problems, but if this is the only one, I'll take it! :cool:

The seepage is where the red arrow is pointing on the picture below. The fitting has been checked for tightness, so the suspect is a defective fitting, specifically the -4 AN fitting. :frown:

Here's the plan:
  • 1 - Replace the 90* -4 AN fitting first with the old one I saved (easy).
  • 2 - If that doesn't fix the problem, I'll replace the oil gallery fitting with the old one I saved (a bit more work).
Bobby...

Related posts:The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 · (Edited)
AVO Turbo Kit re-installation - PROBLEM! - oil seepage? - Part 2

The previously mentioned fixes have been tried & no go. :confused: Funny, as complicated as the AVO Turbo Kit installation was, it's this one thing that's been holding up the completion of the reinstallation project! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

Here's the next plan of attack:
  • Replacing both -4 AN fittings & olives (ferrules).
  • Replacing the hose. I don't think this is required, but to get a good seal, with new fittings, this is the way to go.
  • Installing -4 AN conical repair seals. If the mating surface is the problem, which I suspect, this will fix it.

Here's the parts list. The 90* -4 AN fittings, olives (ferrules), Teflon lined hose & the conical repair seals.

All the parts won't be here until Friday, so this project is on hold until then. :frown:

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
I received the -4 AN conical repair seals today. I even tried one out to see how they fit. Not much more than a precision made aluminum gasket, but ingenious! The remaining parts should be here either Thursday or Friday. :smile:

Alex took the Forester out for a run, just before we noticed the oil seepage, so other than this one issue, the AVO Turbo Kit operates perfectly. Alex said the engine feels more responsive & has more power! :cool:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 · (Edited)
Got parts!

The parts were just delivered & there was even a free cap! :cool:

Okay, time to fabricate the new high pressure oil line for the turbo! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
I've bought a lot of stuff from Jegs for our trucks... too much to admit. :lol:

In fact, there is something for my car coming from them right now!

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
They're great to deal with & the shipping is free... if you don't count the $9.99 processing fee. :cool:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 · (Edited)
AVO Turbo Kit reinstallation - PROBLEM! - oil seepage resolved! - Part 3

I finally got a high pressure oil line installed on the turbo that doesn't leak! :biggrin:

There were actually 2 issues. The problem with the oil seeping at the fitting was resolved by installing -4 AN conical repair seals. This precision gasket provides a perfect seal, even if the seating surface isn't a perfect AN 37*.

Once that fitting seal was repaired, the oil started seeping... leaking at the hose. Figures! :mad:

After lots of research... several reinstallation failures & I discovered the replacement olives (ferrules) that I purchased from Jegs Performance Products were just a bit small. I noticed this earlier on, but I figured there was a design change.

Update 08-20-10 - Here's part of the e-mail I received from Jegs Performance Products!​
The manufacturer of the 90 degree fittings have made the ferrules a different size for some reason without informing us. These replacement ferrules fit the straight and 45 hose ends just fine, but not the 90s. We are fixing the problem internally, so thank you for letting us know.
Today I made up another hose with the old fitting (they're reusable), with the larger olives (ferrules). I figured they'd leak, but they're leak free! Bottom line, the smaller olives (ferrules) weren't crimping tight enough to seal the Teflon hose to the fitting.

I'm still ordering a new -4 AN Teflon hose with stainless steel fitting from Earl's Performance Plumbing. The hose I installed is working perfectly, but they were installed for 5 years & not being stainless steel, they have a bit of rust on them. The new fitting & hose are very expensive, but they'll assemble the hose & pressure test it if all the parts are purchased from them. :cool:

Bobby...

Here's a picture of the 22" hose that held up the completion of the AVO Turbo Kit reinstallation project! :icon_eek:

Here's where the hose connects. From the fitting on the block to the tubo. Note the rust on the fittings from being installed previously for 5 years. The entire hose assembly will be replaced with 100% stainless steel fittings.

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 · (Edited)
The Subtle Solutions ashtray gauge bezel - installed & in operation!

The AVO Turbo Kit reinstallation is pretty much complete, but it will be a bit before I sit down to do the write ups. It's Summer & there's way too much to get done before the weather changes! :icon_eek:

I figure I should post a picture of the other part of this project, the Innovate Motorsports Air/Fuel gauge (connects to LC-1), Gizzmo MS-IBC boost controller/boost gauge & the Perfect Power SMT6 (smart tuner) MAP switch that I installed in the Subtle Solutions ashtray gauge bezel. There will be a detailed write up on the installation into the Forester, but for now, here's a picture showing it in operation. :wink:

Bobby...

Related posts:

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Thanks! :biggrin:

Now I can get back to MODding my '07 FSXT! :cool:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 · (Edited)
A spider in the Sports tail light!

We don't know how the spider got in there & getting its corpse out of there was a challenge! :confused:

How did we remove it? We pulled all the light bulbs out & placed our shop vacuum on each bulb opening until the spider's corpse found it's way out. The make up of the tail light assembly has 2 layers, so the there's another covering, an inner clear covering, which seals each light reflector. Looking at the picture, you'd think it was a straight shot out, but there's a clear internal reflector covering that can't be seen! After much shaking & vacuum sucking, the spider exited out the bottom most (red) light bulb opening! This may sound & look easy, but that spider had gotten on the front side of the lights, so it wasn't as easy as popping off the light & sucking it out! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

Attachments

161 - 180 of 371 Posts