Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
121 - 140 of 371 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
^^ i see you:raspberry:
There's no way to be completely anonymous when taking that kind of picture. :wink:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I knew that. :biggrin:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
Tuning - Part 2d - Subtle Solutions ashtray gauge bezel - Complete!

This completes the Subtle Solutions ashtray gauge bezel project, leaving only the installation into the Forester. :cool:

Bobby...

These 2 pictures show the start of the wiring process. The wiring for the LED was tricky! I wire wrapped 30 gauge wire onto the leads & then they needed to be soldered with 2 other heavier wires on the LC-1 calibrate switch. Since there several different devices on the same gauge panel, there are several cables which will connect to the wiring installed in the Forester.

This picture shows the front view of the ashtray gauge bezel. Looks way different from the natural aluminum on the back!

This picture shows a back view with everything installed & wired.

This picture shows the complete ashtray gauge bezel before the switches were labeled & it was installed in the shifter trim.

This picture shows the ashtray gauge bezel switch functions labeled & installed in the shifter trim piece, ready to be installed into the Forester.
One last note - use spacers (washers) when installing the upper 2 screws on the ashtray gauge bezel. If you look at the mounting tabs, they don't touch the shifter trim piece & overtightening could cause the panel to bow.

Here's what the gauges will look like when they're operating. :smile:

I'm not completely sure, but there may be a Part 2e that shows the complete project installed in the Forester. :wink:

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Thanks! I love how I can tie my love of electronics into the Forester MODding. :cool:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
That looks great!!! I will be using your write up for reference when I mount my
EDFC in the blank gauge bezel. Keep up the good work.

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
That looks great!!! I will be using your write up for reference when I mount my
EDFC in the blank gauge bezel. Keep up the good work.
nice work! :rock:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback! It's great fun working on MODs & even more fun sharing the experience! :biggrin:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
What's under that windshield trim piece?

So you think your Forester is clean? I bet you've never looked or cleaned here.

As part of the AVO Turbo Kit redo project, I needed to drill a couple holes to secure the A/C lines. I pulled off the windshield trim piece (cowl) to make sure where I wanted to drill was clear. I keep my vehicles pretty clean, so this was a surprise!

The plastic trim is easy to remove, once the windshield wipers are removed. If you mark where the wipers sit on the glass, the reinstallation will be correctly the first time. Pop off the rubber caps on the arms & remove the 14mm nuts. Rock (push/pull) on the arm & it will pop off. To remove the plastic trim cowl, remove the two small pieces first on either side, which are held on with a push in retainer, plus there are 2 more, one on each side, that secures the trim piece to the body. Use a trim removal tool to pop them out. Once those small pieces are removed, the trim cowl can be popped off. The 4 plastic trim retainers (2 on each side) can be reused, but if the retainer feels loose when it's reinstalled, you need to get a replacement. I'm going to say these are made for one time use, so the removal can damages them.

Cowl trim push retainer, Subaru part: CLIP COWL PNL - 91167FC020 - 69¢ each.

With the plastic trim piece pulled off, it would be a great time clean & coat it with your favorite plastic treatment. We used to use Mother's Back-to-Black, now we use Adam's Super VRT.

Bobby...

I don't need to say much here, but it was worse than it looks on these pictures. Funny how none of this was visible until the trim piece was removed! Your Forester can look perfectly clean, but hiding under the windshield cowl trim is all this "stuff"!

This last picture shows the fresh air intake duct outlined in red. You can see the cabin filter if you look into the duct. Note the pile of debris next to the intake duct!

There's really no reason to wash everything down, since it can't be seen. I used an old tooth brush to loosen the dirt... mostly pollen & small leaves, then I removed it with my shop vacuum. You may have some residue on the the bottom of the windshield where the trim fits. I used a razor blade (box cutter) to scrape it away & followed up with a glass polish. I'm going to polish the entire windshield so this makes one less area I need to address.

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found ► here. (post #2)

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 · (Edited)
New wheels - Part 2 - a teaser picture!

I picked these up today. We've been working on the AVO Turbo Kit redo project for about a week now, so it will be at least another week before the wheels get installed. Once we get the wheels waxed & the chrome accent trim is installed, we'll post pictures of the wheels. :wink:

The Toyo Proxes 4, 235/50 are like new, so they will be moved from the Motegi MR7 wheels to the new wheels. The XXR wheels are 17x7", +40 offset, the same as the Motegi MR7 wheels, but they look way different! :cool:

Bobby...

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 · (Edited)
AVO Turbo Kit - The re-installation is on schedule!

This how the Forester has been for over 2 weeks! Everything that needs to be removed as been removed, so we're almost ready to start reinstalling the "new" AVO Turbo Kit. We're going to test fit the up pipe & turbo tonight after dinner. This may appear to be taking a long time, but keep in mind that we're making sure everything on the Forester is in perfect condition. In addition, this is suppose to be a "fun" project, so we're taking the time to enjoy it! I've taken hundreds of pictures for the write ups to follow. :cool:

Bobby...

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium
13 Posts
Bobby,
Outstanding job on everything you're doing to that Fozzie. Your posts make me impatient for my warranties to run out so I can start working on my '11! I will definitely be referencing all your posts whenever I get started! Thanks again and keep up the awesome work! :Banane35:

Marc

p.s. - Despite all your warnings, I WILL be performing a turbo upgrade to my '11. I'm somewhat of a "boost junkie" and try to boost everything I touch. Most notable is my '92 Honda Prelude running 22 lbs :biggrin:. However, I will be doing a discreet FMIC set up so I don't have to purchase a whole hood and get it painted!

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Thanks for the compliment! We'll be looking forward to watching your progress in your own Member Journal! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
I'm not usually a fan of chrome rims, but they look amazing on your '03. I always enjoy reading through your journals. Keep it up.
I love those Motegi MR7 alloy chrome wheels (picture on the Forester here). They look amazing when the sun hits them! Unfortunately they're defective... poor chroming is my guess. It has what looks like how rust forms under paint... you can guess where the wheels were made. :mad: We already have the replacement wheels, so once the AVO reinstallation is complete, the new wheels will be installed. :cool:

Bobby...
Here's a picture of the XXR 507S series wheels

Related Posts:

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
AVO Turbo Kit - Part 6 - The turbo up-pipe support bracket doesn't fit!

The test fitting of the turbo & up-pipe (installed as a unit) didn't go well. :frown: In the 5 years since the original AVO Turbo Kit was installed, they made some changes to the hardware. I should have seen this earlier on, but it was very obvious when I tried to attach the support bracket to the engine!

Bobby...

As you can see, the new mounting bracket isn't rounded or slotted! It's even welded to a different spot on the up-pipe, but that's not an issue since it's bent to the same position as the old one.

These pictures shows how I transferred the measurements (Post-it stickie) from the old bracket to the new one. Looks easy, but I must have verified the measurements a dozen times! I figured I could easily remove metal, but putting it back could be a major PIA! :icon_eek:

The upper picture shows the bracket clamped in the vice as I did the cutting. All the openings on the turbo were covered to prevent any metal filings from getting into the workings. Alex was holding the turbo so it wouldn't be dropped. To make the finish work easier, I decided to make several cuts to remove as much metal as possible. The lower picture shows the bracket being shaped with a file. At this point, we decided not to slot the hole. Looking at the old bracket, the bolt was centered on the upper end of the slot, so the slot may not be required. To finish it off, I used the "Q-tip" method to apply Rust-Oleum high temperature B-B-Q black paint to the raw edges.

The support bracket modification was a complete success! We installed the up-pipe this morning & it fit perfectly. The yellow circle on the picture below shows why the bracket had to be modified.

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
I was gonna say... if it didn't fit right you could just give me the new turbo..... :wink: :wink:

·
Administrator
43,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
That AVO/Garrett turbo is a work of art & damn heavy! You should have heard me calling for Alex to pull my legs down so I could pull it & the up-pipe up out of the Forester! :icon_eek:

There have been issues to work around, but so far, that "stinking" support bracket was the only thing that needed serious pondering & it fit the first time... really don't expect that kind of luck, but I'll take it! :biggrin:

All the test fitting is done. I had to cut 2" off the turbo return line, but that was the reason for the test fitting. Did I mention that the oil return line requires a hack saw to cut thru the hardened stainless steel braid! Tomorrow we're going to heat wrap the up-pipe & install the turbo/up-pipe, plus connect the oil drain hose to the oil pan fitting. :cool:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
LMAO. I can totally see that.

Well, honestly, you've done a good job of keeping me away from buying the parts to do this. I think for the old engine, I'll just build it up with high compression internals and some nice cams + headwork.

121 - 140 of 371 Posts