Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
05 FXS 5MT, 07 STi limited SWP, 06 FXT 6MT (sold)
2,717 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
subaru sti seats <<$500/pair (I think).

STI BUCKET SEAT <<$650/ea.

2005 subaru sti << this guy has f/r and the radio for $1000. He also has the 6 speed tranny :wink:
From my experience, not everything is as it may first appear. Lots of stuff (junk) out there, so you need to look at the parts in person, or know what questions to ask or you could get stuck with junk! :frown:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Is this possible?

...:biggrin:
Is over MODding your Forester possible? Of course! You have to admit adding a turbo to an nonturbo engine might be pushing the envelope just a bit. :wink:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
AVO Turbo Kit - Part 2 - What comes in the box?

On this post I'm going to go over the AVO Turbo Kit parts list, or as the title says, "What comes in the big honking box!" :biggrin:

Bobby...
Here's how the AVO Turbo Kit is delivered by UPS. A good size box filled with 70 pounds of kit parts!

The left picture shows the installation manual, the same as the PDF that I linked to in Part 1. The right picture shows most of the small parts. Yes, some assembly will be required! :icon_eek:​

The left picture shows the BOV (Blow Off Valve) parts. The right picture shows the Perfect Power SMT 6 piggyback Smart Tuner, MAP sensor & wiring harness. The basic tune MAP is preloaded on the PerfectPower SMT6.​

These pictures show the top & bottom of the high-flow bar & plate TMIC (Top Mounted Intercooler). Note the auxiliary, or 5th fuel injector mounted on the bottom. The auxiliary fuel injector is controlled by the Perfect Power SMT 6 piggyback Smart Tuner.​

The left picture shows the up pipe & AVO Garrett water-cooled ball-bearing turbo. The right picture shows the downpipe & high flow CAT. All pipes are 2-1/2" stainless steel. Bungs are provided for the front & rear O2 sensors.​

Here's a closeup of the AVO Garrett water-cooled ball-bearing turbo cold side & hot side.

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for compliment & taking the time to look over our Member Journal! :biggrin:

I learned a lot from my '07 FSXT Member Journal. I ended up completely redoing the Table of Contents, trying to keep it easier to navigate. I have to say that was a PIA, since I waited too long & there were so many entries! This Journal is more difficult in another way. Most of the MODding was done so long ago, so I have to remember how I did them! Still, it's kinda fun reliving the MODding & sharing them! :cool:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks! :biggrin:

We'll have some pretty decent step-by-step, DIY turbo installation pictures when ths project starts... perhaps in a month. We're going to pull off the up pipe, turbo, down pipe & redo everything to make this MOD even better. I want to wrap the up & down pipes & the only way to do that is with the plumbing off the vehicle. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I still want a dash bezel for my07.
You know it can be done, but it's a PIA in the '07-'08 with the clock/airbag monitor! :icon_eek: Still, there are options, like putting your head unit up on the dash & you'd have the entire lower double DIN area for something like this. :cool:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Did you do most of the turbo kit install your self or have it done at a shop?

The hardest parts just looking at it would seem to be the electronics portion and then getting it tuned. But I assume since you have said you don't recommend this is that there were more complications.

Really look forward to seeing what is what but I have to hand it to you, major props for attempting such an upgrade and succeeding.

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Did you do most of the turbo kit install your self or have it done at a shop?.
At the time I had no experience on this kind of MODding. I wasn't into engine MODding at all. I was working & didn't have a spare vehicle. During a visit to my dealership, adding a turbo came up during a conversation. To my surprise, my trusted service advisor had contacts & arranged the installation thru the dealership (subcontracted to a performance shop). To make a very long story a bit shorter, the Forester was in the shop for over a week! :icon_eek:

The hardest parts just looking at it would seem to be the electronics portion and then getting it tuned. But I assume since you have said you don't recommend this is that there were more complications..
Yes there were complications, mostly poor workmanship of the installing shop. You know the saying, "if you want something done right, do it yourself!" I have to admit I'm pickey & I can be to the extreme, but the quality of the installation was poor. This was after I made it clear that I'd be checking everything over with a "magnifying"! Did they think I was kidding? I took a week off from work so I could check everything out & correct what wasn't right. I'm sure my being overly picky (a perfectionist) has rewarded me with an extreme MOD that has been trouble free for many years. :smile:

My area of expertise is electronics, so the wiring wasn't bad at all... once I found the pin outs for the ECU. I'll be covering that PIA problem later on, so stay tuned!

Really look forward to seeing what is what but I have to hand it to you, major props for attempting such an upgrade and succeeding.
Everyone has something they've always wanted to do & this was one of those things for me. Now that I could easily do the MOD myself, we (son & I) will be redoing the MOD to make some improvements. I can pass on some of the problems I ran into in the past & the many things the installation manual doen't cover. :wink:

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
AVO Turbo Kit - Part 3 - Turbo oil return hose problem!

On this post I'm going to address a problem I ran into with the turbo low pressure oil return (drain) hose & how I was able to work around it. :smile:

Bobby...

The upper picture shows the 24" stainless steel braided hose that comes in the kit. The lower picture shows the pretty blue ends. They're nothing more than fancy hose clamps, small (thin) ones at that! Not functional enough for me, so they'll be left off & replaced with better hose clamps.​

Here's the problem! The provided hose has to be pushed onto a 5/8" fitting. If you look at the upper picture, I have the hose next to a piece of 5/8" hose so you can see the problem. After some research, I found they provided a high quality -10 AN hose, which has an OD of 5/8" & an ID of 9/16"! The lower picture shows the 5/8" fitting that is installed in the oil pan clamped in my vice.​
p​

Here's how I was able to "easily" squeeze that 9/16" stainless steel reinforced hose onto the 5/8" fitting. I should note here that the stainless steel braid is fused to the hose, so it's not a simple matter of pushing it back to get to the hose. I lightly coated the fitting & the inside of the hose with dielectric grease. Then I used a heat gun to heat the fitting & the hose braid. Once everything was hot (not too hot!), I pushed the hose onto the fitting & clamped it. The lower picture shows the same procedure performed on the turbo end. Note the bulge where the hose pushed onto the turbo oil fitting. That prevents the hose from pulling off, once it's clamped. I did pull the hose off to verify the fit & it's very tight, perfect IMO.​

The upper picture shows the turbo low pressure oil return (drain) hose installed & clamped. I should note here that I later decided to double clamp (2 hose clamps) the drain hose from the turbo, so I pushed the hose on a bit more to allow for a second clamp. The lower picture shows the hose with the fitting on one end & attached to the turbo on the other end.​

Related posts:

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
You know it can be done, but it's a PIA in the '07-'08 with the clock/airbag monitor! :icon_eek: Still, there are options, like putting your head unit up on the dash & you'd have the entire lower double DIN area for something like this. :cool:

Bobby...

Thats basically what I would like to do, someday.

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Driver's mat hook upgrade.

I found the "post" used to hold the driver's mat in place on the '03 X completely worthless! The mat would always pop off the post & side forward. When I bought the '07 FSXT last year (June/09), I noticed the "post" had been replaced with a "hook"! Of course we had to have this in the '03 X!

I got the part from Jackie, @SubaruPartsGirl a supporting vendor here on the forum. Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019.

It requires two parts, the hook & the piece that fits under the carpet, which the hook snaps into.
  • Mat Hook Hardware: 95076SA001 - $3/USD, & 95076SA010 - $4/USD
Bobby...

Here's a picture of the mat "hook", which replaced the "post" on the later models. The installation is very easy! Just pop off the threshold trim piece, release just enough carpet so you can get underneath the carpet to release the post & install the new hook.

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found ► here. (post #2)

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Walbro GSS342 fuel pump upgrade.

My original write up can be viewed here. I did that post before we had Member Journals. You can also view the Walbro GSS342 fuel pump installation on my '07 FSXT here.

You never know what you're going to find when doing a MOD. This was a surprise & it would have been very unpleasant if the wasps were still there! :icon_eek:

This picture shows the Walbro GSS342 installed & the stock fuel pump that it replaced. The installation is very easy once the assembly is removed from the fuel tank, it's all plug & play! Not having the fuel filter in the tank also makes the assembly less cluttered & easier to work with.

One final note. The tank cover nuts need to be reinstalled in a specific order. The PDF with the instructions can be found on my original write up here.

Attachments

Reactions: patarick1

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
+12V accessory outlet unswitched (always on) modification.

This is another write up that I did before we got Member Journals, so I decided to include it here. You can view the original write up for this modification on the '03 X here. I also did this same MOD on the '07 FSXT, which can be viewed here.

I needed unswitched, always on +12V power in the cargo area. This modification affects the front armrest/console outlet & the outlet in the cargo area. The outlet near the ashtray is on a different circuit & is not affected by doing this modification.

This is very easy modification ('03-'08), other than finding the damn relay! In my '03 X it's doesn't look like a standard plastic cube relay, it's a round & metal. It doesn't plug in, it's attached to a bracket & a plug (socket) is used for the connections. The relay is located under the dash, attached to the left side of the fuse panel. Once you find the relay, unplug the plug (socket) & use a male/male jumper (standard 1/4") to connect (2) to (4).

Bobby...

This diagram shows the wire colors & where the jumper needs to be placed after the relay is unplugged (removed).

This diagram shows the location (highlighted in yellow) of the rear accessory power control relay.

The relay on the left is from my son's '03 X & the relay on the right is from my '07 FSXT.

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
JDM side turn markers.

I bought these directly from Japan way back. I always wanted side turn signals on the '03 X, but I could never get up the nerve to cut holes in the fenders!

Bobby...
This picture shows the 2 lights & the template I made for the required hole in the fender.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 371 Posts