Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
301 - 320 of 370 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 · (Edited)
Left C-pillar trim replacement.

We're starting to get together the parts for summer MODding & repair projects. :biggrin:

The left C-pillar trim... Subaru calls it a cover, was starting to show its age. This is the side the sun beats on, so the finish was stating to fail. The trim on the right side still looks like new.

Alex likes the stock look, so we decided against painting or vinyl wrapping. This is an expensive factory/OEM part, $64/USD each! :icon_eek:

I bought this from Jackie, SubaruPartsGirl here on the forum. She's a forum supporting vendor & a parts wiz! Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019. :wink:

Bobby...

Subaru part numbers:
  • COVER C PLR ASSY LH - 65240SA030
  • COVER C PLR ASSY RH - 65240SA020

COVER C PLR ASSY LH - 65240SA030

Here's the back view, which shows how it's attached to the body with 5 plastic clips.
The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

Attachments

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
Finally! I am a huge fan of all your work/mods and was missing updated regarding your cars. The attention to detail you presents in your projects is awesome! Great that you are going to do more mods!

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Thank you for the compliment! I just looked over your Member Journal & it looks like you've been busy! :cool:

The last few years have been spent on house repairs, which leaves little time for fun vehicle MODs. :frown:
This years major house project is fence replacement & repairs, so that may leave some time for Forester MODding. :confused:

Alex's '03 X MODding is pretty much complete. Now it's basically maintenance, hence the replacement of the left C-pillar trim. :wink:

We do have to complete the wiring for the switches that were added last year. You can view them on this post. There's also some upgrades to previous wiring MODs that will be done at the same time. Not as complicated as installed the AVO Turbo kit, but it's still MODding. :biggrin:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Matt,

Good to see you back on the forum! :cool:

Right you are, but that piece sure looks nice & it makes that side of the Forester look great! This new piece should last a good 10 years.

I'm doing good, wasting perfectly good MODding money fixing up the house. I'll have a load of lumber delivered for our fence repair project, if the rain will ever let up! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 XT 4eat
325 Posts
Hey man have you replaced that pillar yet? im going to wrap mine but not sure how to take it off!

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 · (Edited)
We do our MODding outside & the weather is just getting nice. On the downside, there's way too much pollen in the air for us! :icon_eek:

Take a look at look at this previous post. I added a picture of the back, which shows it's held onto the body with 5 push on plastic clips. Looks to me like it should pull off easily. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
An Integrated Key Fob for Alex's '03 X!

I did the Integrated Key Fob MOD on my '07 FSXT last year, which you can view here in my '07 FSXT Member Journal. The security chip made that MOD a bit more complicated, but it was well worth it! Of course Alex wanted an Integrated Key Fob for his '03 X.

No immobilizer security or chipped keys on the '03 X, so this MOD was VERY easy!

Bobby...

On the left is the stock key + fob & on the right is the new Integrated Key Fob. I bought the Integrated Key Fob from Jackie, who was a vendor here on the forum. Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019.

Here's our simplified programing instructions, which made the programing a piece-of-cake!

This was a birthday gift for Alex, so there has to be a picture of the birthday cake!

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found ► here. (post #2)

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

Reactions: Frstrgmp2016

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X Auto
4 Posts
I really enjoyed reading through this journal. There is no way I am ever going to do all this to our 03' Forester (same blue). As a matter of fact, at 130K it's falling apart, and we are probably going to have to buy a new car soon. However, I just wanted to say that you have done a great job on modding yours.

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Thank you for taking the time to look over our Member Journal!

Since I inherited the '03 X from my dad, so it wasn't so bad putting money into a nearly new vehicle that I owned. I'd never do anything this radical again, but I have to admit it was... is a great father & son project! :cool:

The '03 X has a bit over 30K miles on it now, so it should serve my son well until he's ready for something newer. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 · (Edited)
Cabin filter change - June 2014!

Alex changed his cabin filter today!

Note: '03-'05 has "9" screws which have to be removed so the the glove compartment can be removed to access the cabin filter. '06-'08 has "7" screws. Keep in mind it's easy to remove the wrong screws from the bottom. the screws you want to remove are on either side, not directly under the glove compartment door! I posted the instructions here if you need them.

Bobby...

The left filter is the new Champion CAF1863P cabin filter that we're switching to. The filter on the right is the old TYC 800075P cabin filter.

Related thread:

Attachments

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
You'll be surprised how much debris has collected in there! Better have a vacuum read! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
JDM STi hazard switch installed!

Alex received this for Christmas & we just got around to installing it. I prefer warmer weather when dash parts need to be pried out. Warm parts flex & don't break.

Alex's '03 X has manual climate controls, so unhooking the control cables was another ugly task... easier now that I've done it before, but still a hassle!

The installation is plug & play, with no real difference, other than the distinctive red color.

Bobby...

Here's how the stock hazard switch looked.

Here's how it looks with the JDM STi hazard switch installed.

Related post:

Attachments

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Automatic
82 Posts
Belated question, do you have an opinion on how often to change synthetic oil, and whether time on the calendar is the most important thing, or time on the road?

I ask because we rarely drive more than 3000 miles on our '03 each year -- they're rough forest road miles, sometimes on very hot days, loaded for long campouts. So I've been very tempted to wait longer than one year to change the Mobil One.

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
Not a recommendation, but with the fewer miles we're putting on our vehicles, our oil + filter replacement routine is once a year.

With the longer time between oil changes, we do make sure our vehicles are "always" brought up the normal operating temperature, whenever the engine is started. :wink:

Of course you could have an oil analysis done to see if you can extend the oil change interval, but one year is about as long as I'd be comfortable going... :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2015 Forester
4 Posts
Great journal you have elaborated, amazing the extent of information provided .will take some time to digest all this new topics , thanks

·
Administrator
41,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Thank you for taking the time to look over our Member Journal.

I passed the '03 X to my son when I got my '07 FSXT, but I still miss my first Forester... my 2.5x sleeper :wink:

Bobby...

301 - 320 of 370 Posts