Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
241 - 260 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
05 FXS 5MT, 07 STi limited SWP, 06 FXT 6MT (sold)
2,717 Posts
The 90* spacer that you installed may have a 1/2" opening into the exhaust pipe, which may be allowing a large amount of exhaust to reach the O2 sensor? The Spark plug non-fouler opening is 1/4". One is drilled out to 1/2" to allow the O2 sensor to fit, but the other one is left at 1/4".

As to raspy exhaust sound. Did you remove your resonator? :confused:
I think it is 1/2" or so, it's more or less the same size that the o2 sensor threads into.

STi resonator is still there.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 · (Edited)
Very nice looking exhaust! :cool:

I'm not entirely sure that 90* piece serves the same function as the spark plug non-fouler, perhaps more to clearance the O2 sensor? I'd be tempted to throw a spark plug non-fouler setup on the end of that 90* piece. If that doesn't stop your P0420 CEL code, I don't know what will? :icon_eek:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

·
Administrator
43,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
You have a point. I don't seem to have the running issue with Mother's Back to Black though... I tend to massage thoroughly when I apply it (several minutes) and apply product in liberal amounts.
I've tried Griot's Vinyl & Rubber dressing, 303 Aerospace Protectant, Mother's Back-to-Black & none of them last long in the rain & we get lots of rain here in Oregon where I live. :icon_eek:

The Adam's Super VRT is very expensive stuff, but if it holds up, I'll keep buying it. We've applied it to all 3 vehicles & there's still 3/4 of a bottle left. :cool:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #2)

·
Registered
05 FXS 5MT, 07 STi limited SWP, 06 FXT 6MT (sold)
2,717 Posts
I'm not entirely sure that 90* piece serves the same function as the spark plug non-fouler, perhaps more to clearance the O2 sensor? I'd be tempted to throw a spark plug non-fouler setup on the end of that 90* piece. If that doesn't stop your P0420 CEL code, I don't know what will? :icon_eek:
So you think a single non-fouler will do the trick in addition to the 90* piece? Thanks for your input!

·
Administrator
43,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
I'm going to say you'd gain nothing by using just one spacer. :confused:

You have to drill out one of the spark plug non-foulers from 1/4" to 1/2" so the O2 sensor can screw into it, then you screw on the second spacer leaving the hole 1/4" :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Hatch garnish rubber glass trim replacement.

The hatch garnish rubber glass trim was starting to look real bad, so it was time to tackle this project. It's not overly difficult, but this is some strangely shaped trim & it's very tedious to install!

I purchased this part from Jackie, who used to be a vendor here on the forum. She's a parts wiz & my go to for factory/OEM parts!
  • Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019.
  • Her e-mail is: [email protected]
Protector-rear garnish, upper - 91163SA000

Bobby...

This picture shows how the garnish rubber glass trim was cracking & looked bad!

The document below is for installing a rear spoiler, but it shows the steps required to get to the 7, 10mm nuts that need to be removed. The only hardware that needs to removed are the 2 Phillips-head screws that hold the handle onto the hatch bottom right, then 3 push in pins located across the bottom. Everything else done with clips & will pull off with the hatch trim. Note that you don't need to do the steps that are crossed off in red. The reinstallation isn't difficult, just take your time to make sure the clips are lining up.

One of the 7, 10mm nuts will require loosening the wiper assembly. No need to remove the wiper assembly, once the bolts are removed, it will move aside enough to get to the hidden garnish nut. You'll also need to unplug the license plate lighting harness plug. This sucker is a bear to release, but it does come apart! Oddly enough, it plugs back together with no effort at all?

Once the nuts are removed, the garnish will still be held on by 6 clips, which will release when the garnish is pulled off. The reinstallation is easy. Feed the license plate wiring harness back thru the hole, making sure the rubber grommet is seated correctly, then push on the garnish to seat the 6 clips, then it's just a matter of reinstalling the 7, 10mm nuts & reinstalling the bolts that hold the rear wiper assembly.
Don't forget to reconnect the license plate wiring harness to the chassis connector!

Once the garnish is removed, you might consider cleaning, polishing & waxing the painted area covered by the garnish. It's also a good idea to lube the hatch release handle.

The old rubber trim will pull off easily, but before you remove it, look carefully at how it's installed! There will be some adhesive residue, which we cleaned off with Ronsonal lighter fuel.

Before you start the installation of the rubber trim, check how long it is & split the difference, leaving around the same amount of overhang on either side. The rubber trim doesn't come cut to size, so it's up to you to decide how you want to cut the ends. The lower picture shows the shape of the rubber trim. The left side presses onto the hatch glass & the right side hooks onto the garnish edge. Sound easy, but the sticky adhesive makes the installation great fun.

This last picture shows the garnish reinstalled with the new rubber glass trim. We think it looks great & was worth the hassle!

The Table of Contents for Alex's Member Journal can be found ► here. (post #2)

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

·
Registered
05 Forester XT 06 STI V9 Spec-C Six Speed
815 Posts
love reading your write up, I use the adams VRT for almost everything, cleaning all the plastic pieces and its held up to everything, rain and all. I would buy it over and over again, try it on your tires too it give a great black and non gloss to the side wall and no slinging like the others do. :)

·
Administrator
43,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliment. :smile:

We put Adam's Super VRT on everything, like we did with Mother's Back-to-Black. The Adam's Super VRT made the tires look very good, perhaps better looking than new! :cool:

I'll update our Adam's Super VRT write up in the Spring. All the wet weather we get here in Oregon should show if this stuff is worth the cost. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

Post under discussion:

·
Administrator
43,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
I do for the small pictures, but that newly imposed forum image posting change reformated my side-by-side pictures to one on top of another. :mad:

The last I read here, a request was placed, or was going to be placed, to put things back as they were? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 forester 2.5x 4 speed automatic
103 Posts
just reading the first few posts has scared me off of wanting to turbo my 2003 2.5x and I've built turbo systems from scratch for air cooled VW's in the past! of course, those were carbureted draw through systems LOL. back to the idea of doing some mods to the N/A motor.

·
Administrator
43,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
just reading the first few posts has scared me off of wanting to turbo my 2003 2.5x and I've built turbo systems from scratch for air cooled VW's in the past! of course, those were carbureted draw through systems LOL. back to the idea of doing some mods to the N/A motor.
This was something I've always wanted to do & it was great fun, but I'll never do it again! :icon_eek:

On the AVO tubo kit reinstallation project, my son help, which was a good learning experience for him. :cool:

The '03 X is still running perfectly... still think I like it better then my '07 FSXT... :confused:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
43,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·

Attachments

·
Administrator
43,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 · (Edited)
The original installation, including the '04 XT hood was nearly $6K/USD. I didn't have the time to do this myself, so much of the cost is shop labor. I'd never do this again or would I recommend doing anything this radical! Still... it was something I wanted to do, since I had a 64 VW bug as a kid & I had the money to throw at the project... :icon_eek:

The reinstallation was required to correct the poor performace shop installation & added close to $4K/USD to this project! This is what we documented in this Member Journal. It was a fun father & son project, so it was well worth the cost! :cool:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Manual
57 Posts
We don't know how the spider got in there & getting its corpse out of there was a challenge! :confused:

How did we remove it? We pulled all the light bulbs out & placed our shop vacuum on each bulb opening until the spider's corpse found it's way out. The make up of the tail light assembly has 2 layers, so the there's another covering, an inner clear covering, which seals each light reflector. Looking at the picture, you'd think it was a straight shot out, but there's a clear internal reflector covering that can't be seen! After much shaking & vacuum sucking, the spider exited out the bottom most (red) light bulb opening! This may sound & look easy, but that spider had gotten on the front side of the lights, so it wasn't as easy as popping off the light & sucking it out! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

Just want to say I have a spider in each one of my tail lights in the same position as yours. 03 forester xs

241 - 260 of 371 Posts