Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XT Lux 5mt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,

I'm curious to get some feedback on alarm systems for the Forester. Does anybody have experience with a system that they really like...?

I noticed a Security System Upgrade for XT Model 2004 - 2005 (which I drive) at www.subarugenuineparts.com for about $75 US... would it work downunder?

I guess with data dots and the factory immobiliser it won't be taken for (many?) parts... so perhaps a noise maker to limit snatch and grab loiter...

Cheers

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
Thought about getting one myself, but my dealer said he'd only sell two or three a year... I guess if someone is going to snatch and grab, then a siren or two is not going to stop that. Just make sure you don't have anything in view and hopefully they'll leave your car alone.

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
X.T.C. said:
Hello people,

I guess with data dots and the factory immobiliser it won't be taken for (many?) parts... so perhaps a noise maker to limit snatch and grab loiter...

Cheers
In my experience, no one takes notice of a noise maker. I've watched people walk right past a car with an alarm going off (myself included).

Get insurance and be sensible where you park.

Don't leave items in plain view (stick them under the cargo cover), park in plain view, garage at night.

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
I don't think the US system will work on the Oz cars.

The 04/05 models in the US did not have anything like the same security system as the Oz models. Here, the Australian government legislated the minimum acceptable security system for new cars, and it is a lot different to what was on offer in the US.

Due to all the issues with the WRX getting stolen a lot (and what it did to the insurance premiums) Subaru Oz put a very good imobilisation system into the Forester to prevent it suffering the same. (anyone know if one has been stolen yet?)

The Subaru Australia alarm 'upgrade' was developed localy with Brants(?) car alarms (but they went bankrupt). There are some after-market upgrade kits available, but they are usually around the $300-$500 mark, depending on how many 'extra' features you want.

The cheaper ones simply add a battery backed alarm, door open and glass breakage sensor, while the more expesive ones can add a few more points of imobilisation (there are 3 standard ones), microwave sensor and keypad to the list.

One common thing for the 'upgrade' kits, is that they work off of the standard system and key (they actually plug into the factory system), so you end up with the one key that does it all.

In the end I never got one, as I didn't think it was at a big risk of being stolen, and an alarm is still not likely to stop any smash and grab types.

Rob.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
soobdo said:
Here, the Australian government legislated the minimum acceptable security system for new cars, and it is a lot different to what was on offer in the US.

Due to all the issues with the WRX getting stolen a lot (and what it did to the insurance premiums) Subaru Oz put a very good imobilisation system into the Forester to prevent it suffering the same. (anyone know if one has been stolen yet?)
Not sure if Subaru put the immobiliser in the Forester because of the WRX.
But off your first bit - its law that all new cars must have an immobiliser. Yes Subaru fitted it to the WRX before that, but I think the Forester got it about when it became law.

Now they also do DataDots (which I believe are an Australian product) which arent a legal requirement but are a good idea to reduce theft for parts and make rebirthing harder.

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
soobdo said:
The Subaru Australia alarm 'upgrade' was developed localy with Brants(?) car alarms (but they went bankrupt).
In the end I never got one, as I didn't think it was at a big risk of being stolen, and an alarm is still not likely to stop any smash and grab types.

Rob.
Now we know why!

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
Candy said:
Anyone put locking nuts on their wheels yet ?
No, but I have been thinking about it... Import from the US or source locally?

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
broadbean said:
No, but I have been thinking about it... Import from the US or source locally?
There are plenty of local suppliers.

I've seen a rash of wheel thefts not far from here so was thinking about this as an aftermarket add.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts