Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 FORESTER
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys can somebody tell me what "!" alarm means? This alarm comes and goes away-in the morning its usually ON but after couple hours it can dissapear.Usually ! alarm coming when I pull up the hand brake-then its normal but when you push it down the alarm supposed to dissapear but its not. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts

...This alarm comes and goes away-in the morning its usually ON but after couple hours it can dissapear...
Have you checked your tire pressures?
I agree with Andy... cold ambient temps will decrease tire pressure, and then the pressure will increase as tire temps rise with increasing ambient temp and/or driving. This pressure cycle could cause your TPMS indicator to come on for a while when the tires are cold, and then turn off after they heat up and their pressure increases.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
What does the owners manual say?

Is it a blue light like SO asks? Or is it red? If red, then it may be the parking brake is not releasing properly. You also mention "alarm" but I assume that you mean "warning light", not an actual sound. Or am I wrong there?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
Canadian models did not come with TPMS unless he picked it up in the US.
Interesting! :icon_redface:

It could be the brake system warning light; see the attached graphic. Check your owner's manual (Section 3?) for details.

Getting back to the low ambient temperature idea, it might still be related. The right combination of brake pad wear and low temperature could cause the brake fluid level to drop and signal a "brake warning". When the BF heats up and expands, raising the float switch just enough, it could turn the indicator off.

I had this very "problem" in my old '72 BMW Bavaria. :icon_cry: I still miss that car.

Accordingly, one thing you might want to do is check the thickness of the brake pads and the level of the BF reservoir. Perhaps your '09 came with a low fill from the factory... Be careful if you decide to add BF, as installing new pads someday might cause the reservoir's fluid level to rise too high.

If pad wear and/or low BF isn't the problem, an alternate corrective action might be to make sure the BF reservoir cap is installed and tightened correctly. The float might be too low if the cap isn't on right.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 FORESTER
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for reply guys. Yes its red warning light, probably something to do with parking brake. Sorry for misleding you guys the warning light is not coming ON only on mornings-sometimes during the day or evening. The car is under warranty so I am going to take it to the dealer soon anyway.Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
How has your weather been? It could be the parking brake system is frozen. Happens with Fords a lot (don't ask how I know)....

The dealer should be able to fix it.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
frozen handbrake can happen on most cars. temp changes from mild to cold over night can freeze the handbrake or just very cold weather. if you park on flat surfaces in the winter. try avoid using the handbrake, only put it in gear.
I had frozen handbrake once on my foz but it also froze the abs too it seemed. Because the sensor went off. no abs at the time.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
frozen handbrake can happen on most cars. temp changes from mild to cold over night can freeze the handbrake or just very cold weather. if you park on flat surfaces in the winter. try avoid using the handbrake, only put it in gear.
I had frozen handbrake once on my foz but it also froze the abs too it seemed. Because the sensor went off. no abs at the time.
Froze your ABS? Hmmm...does it get cold where you live? :biggrin:

Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2009 FORESTER
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think its something to do with the weather we actually having very mild weather this year-temperatures are about +12c .

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
I don't think its something to do with the weather we actually having very mild weather this year-temperatures are about +12c .
Did you check the brake fluid level? The reason why I ask is because in other automobiles (and Subaru, I imagine), when the level drops, the brake warning light in the dash illuminates, sometimes for a second or two until the level drops further, at which time the light stays on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts