Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unable to plot dyno on Airboy's spreadsheet on my first attempt to use this great tool.

I am using the latest version: ver4p0z1

I guess my time scale units are wrong, how do I convert them to milliseconds?

Attached is the csv file.

Steps I followed:

1. import csv
2. filter WOT
3. grab headers
4. input data
5. wheel dia calc
6. calc acceleration

Am I missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Ya, the time data isn't right. That type of time stamp doesn't look familiar to me. You want to have the stamp in milliseconds.

Really, if all you want in a "dyno" plot, just log engine rpm and tp so you know where to trim the data set. This will give you the best resolution and the most accurate curve.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Listen to the man Scott. Looks like you changed the format of the time cells; excel attempted to convert it to a Julian date.

Take your original raw log dump.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, the time data isn't right. That type of time stamp doesn't look familiar to me. You want to have the stamp in milliseconds.

Really, if all you want in a "dyno" plot, just log engine rpm and tp so you know where to trim the data set. This will give you the best resolution and the most accurate curve.
Can you elaborate, if I only log RPM and throttle position, will the macro work? I am missing something here, how can I generate hp/tq only logging two parameters??? I was under the impression I had to log all the parameters Airboy's file dictates.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Listen to the man Scott. Looks like you changed the format of the time cells; excel attempted to convert it to a Julian date.

Take your original raw log dump.
original dump is in Julian format too, just found the problem, I chose to use absolute time stamp in Romraider under settings, this option must be turned off.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Can you elaborate, if I only log RPM and throttle position, will the macro work? I am missing something here, how can I generate hp/tq only logging two parameters??? I was under the impression I had to log all the parameters Airboy's file dictates.
Power/Torque is calculated based on acceleration of mass, and of course torque multiplication and environmental factors.

So really, all you need is engine rpm. But to have some guidance in triming the data set, tp is nice to have.

So with just a time stamp and rpm, you can do the dyno plot. Of course you need to fill out some other pieces of information like gear ratio, temp, RH, weight, etc, but those are things you log...

I use Airboy's spreadsheet all of the time just for the dyno tool. I made my own Excel dyno tool, then found Airboy's, and I liked the smoothing function so I just use his. We did it pretty much the same way. His calculations are solid.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, sorry, short hand. throttle position...

BTW, I just realized you are in Detroit. If you are in need of tuning help, let me know. I'm over in the Ann Arbor area fairly frequently visiting family...
Thx for the offer, I am only trying to get baseline numbers before a turbo install and other half dozen mods. I will leave the tune to Speed Industry in Troy.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
320 Posts
Yes DAM and IAM are the same thing. No need to log it really, download learning view to get your IAM/fuel trims/ and learned knock.

For those of you guys using airboy, since there is no FXT option, what number are you using for the rpm to speed converter, and what vehicle are you choosing as a supplement?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Yes DAM and IAM are the same thing. No need to log it really, download learning view to get your IAM/fuel trims/ and learned knock.

For those of you guys using airboy, since there is no FXT option, what number are you using for the rpm to speed converter, and what vehicle are you choosing as a supplement?
I don't have the sheet infront of me, but if I remember right, I just modified the table on the 02-05 WRX. Same tranny ratios, 4.444 fd, different tire. Seems like frontal area is a bit more (22 > 24 sq ft perhaps) and so is Cd (.32 > .36). This is all from memory, so hopefully its right...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok let's agree on some numbers to compare apples with apples:

This applies for Dyno Graph Calculation for Forester SG:

Curve Weight: 3320 lbs (from cars101.com)
Full Tank: 105 lbs (15 gal x 7 lb/gal)
Base Weight: 3215 lbs (Curve Weight - Full Tank)
Delta Weight: Driver's weight + Gas' Weight (full tank = 105lbs, half tank = 52.5 lbs, 1/4 tank = 26 lbs)
Frontal Area: 24ft^2 (estimation per "thefoos")
Cd: 0.36 (estimation per "thefoos")
Tranny Ratios: Choose 02-05 WRX
Tire: Input your tire size

Bold faced numbers denotes Airboy's entry

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
^With above assumptions and below boundary conditions this is my curve on average of 2 runs (does anybody know how to average 4 runs?)

Mods: Cobb Stage 2 OTS, AVO High-Flow Filter, Stock wheels on winter rubber (215/55/17), 3" Catted MadDad TBE.

Environmental Conditions: temperature 40F, humidity 90%, elevation 961 ft.

HP 246 @ 6000
TQ 276 @ 3850

Unfortunately Airboy's spreadsheet does not correlate well with a Mustang Dyno Run (same mods no protune).

·
Registered
06 WRX
6 Posts

Delta Weight: Driver's weight + Gas' Weight (full tank = 105lbs, half tank = 52.5 lbs, 1/4 tank = 26 lbs)

You need to change the Final Drive ratio as well as the Wheel diameter entries (scroll to the right on the page). Just pick one of the existing entries and rename it and fill in the gearing and tire info. Go back to the vehicle model selector and it should show up in the list.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts

You need to change the Final Drive ratio as well as the Wheel diameter entries (scroll to the right on the page). Just pick one of the existing entries and rename it and fill in the gearing and tire info. Go back to the vehicle model selector and it should show up in the list.
I also can't tell whether you changed the final drive or not.

That Mustang dyno plot isn't very good, or the tune isn't very good. That "hump" between 2800-3400rpm is no good. Hard to say that it doesn't compare with the Mustang anyway. Mustang's are consider very low reading, and a dyno loads differently than the road does (the reason I like to road tune).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts