Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock SF5 'newage' S-Turbo (MY01). Before adding larger diamater exhaust pipework, removing cats etc, are there any gains to be had realistically with adapting airflow IN on stock motor? Imagine I may replace existing airbox and filter with foam ITG type filter.

Where is MAF?

Load of hassle and not worth it? leave well alone and do this job plus exhaust plus new turbo plus remap all at once. Right?!!

cheers guys

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
I am sure there will be alot of people along shortly to say "Dont do it"

Just replace the stock filter with either a green panel filter or replace it often.

lots of after market items so nothing on a subaru and some have been known to reduce performance.

The maf is at the other end of the big skwiggly pipe which comes out of the airbox towards the front of the engine (Technical term) :biggrin:

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Standard input good for 300BHP.............unless you like the intake noise as the turbo spools up:biggrin:

MAF highlighted..........

I'll leave the choice of filter to others:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
green filter

you could have alook at removing all the gubbins inside the wing, I believe it to be called a snorkelectamy

Unless of course you do a lot of wading through rivers

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
I am sure there will be alot of people along shortly to say "Dont do it"
I'm not one of them :biggrin:

Above showing Zero Sports induction kit & intake pipe, along with Snorkusectomy.

Definitely go for a more free-flowing panel filter at the minimum, but if you want some NOISE go induction kit and remap (which you will need).

Attachments

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
to be honest, i've done it as well, but after the novelty of the turbo noise wears off, i put my airbox back on! admittedly I havent done this since I upped the boost though!

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snorkelectomy will only work if using direct induction via cone filter (or similar) plus flexihose as all the gubbins in the wing serves to provide a constant pressure feed to the standard filter and beyond, as I understand it. What (if any) is the advantage of using cone filter located in engine bay?

Does it simply allow 'more' air in more quickly?!

regards,

idiot form the North....

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Snorkelectomy will only work if using direct induction via cone filter (or similar) plus flexihose as all the gubbins in the wing serves to provide a constant pressure feed to the standard filter and beyond, as I understand it.
I would say that's ****. Tis unnecessary plastic junk inserted to keep EU regulators from shutting down the world.

Many people have removed it and kept a feed from the standard box into the wing without problems.

What (if any) is the advantage of using cone filter located in engine bay?
Does it simply allow 'more' air in more quickly?!
Some say exactly that yes. Other's don't....
Do it if you want something shiny and more noise...otherwise I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers NichB, on that pic on the link, and NDS's STi, is that the front MAFS just behind the air filter on the pipework?

cheers
mike

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
I have a Green Filter and a "big blue" airbox hose.

Lovely noise!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The resonator on the intake is indeed to reduce noise, whether you consider that the EU regulators are at fault for setting for drive by noise limits (so why is it fitted to US cars that have no drive by noise?) or for in car NVH who can tell!

Simon

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheers for info NDS. Was the pipework and MAF a specially fabricated part?

Simon, does the amount of cubic ft in the resonator allow for more constant inflow rate at MAF?

sorry for so many Qs!

cheers
mike

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I removed the snorkus and sealed the airbox to the fender. From experience, it seems the snorkus also helps to get larger particulate to settle out of the air before hitting the filter. After snorkus removal I'm replacing the airfilter at least every 10,000 miles (basically every other oil change). It does give a slight advantage, and some of the induction noises, but its nothing major. I just run a purolator brand paper filter, hate oiled filters and the dry reusable filters didn't give any advantage over a paper filter.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Snorkelectomy will only work if using direct induction via cone filter (or similar) plus flexihose as all the gubbins in the wing serves to provide a constant pressure feed to the standard filter and beyond, as I understand it. What (if any) is the advantage of using cone filter located in engine bay?Does it simply allow 'more' air in more quickly?!
regards,idiot form the North....
By removing the inner wing items you can increase the diameter of the existing filter box inlet by taking out the rubber gasket and sealing the box to the wing.
(picture courtesy of Peaty) There are a number of snorkusectomy threads on Scoobymods

The hole where the piping went into the wing can be blanked using the Subaru plug (or duck tape :biggrin:)

I run mine like this and have fitted a suitably sized air inlet pipe from the wing into the airbox.

Fitting a cone filter in the engine bay does the same thing , however most of the after market kits come with some form of shielding to isolate the cone from the rest of engine bay to try and keep the hotter air away from it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts