Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just driving along today and my check airbag light came on for apparently no reason. I didn't hit anything, didn't get hit, etc. It was extremely hot today (~90vs avg mid-60's), maybe that might have had something to do with it, but I doubt it.
Anyways, has anyone had this happen before? suggestions on problem solving before I need to go to the dealer? I am not particularly fond of my local dealers.

2004 Forester XT
Manual, on WRX struts

Thanks,
Mark

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,462 Posts
The place to start are the air bag connectors under the seats. They can get knocked loose by feet & sometimes just get loose. If they look tight, unplug & plug it back together. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Just wiggling the connectors works for me most of the time. I get an airbag light almost every time after having had passengers in the rear seat. Pretty easy fix!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,954 Posts
^^^ That's by far the most common cause, and it's absolutely free to fix! A much less common one is the 'clockspring,' which is the flexible cable which connects electrical stuff in the steering wheel back into the wiring in the steering column. It can come unplugged or it can break. Replacing it is $$$.

Does your horn work?

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
95 Posts
04 Forester X Same Thing

Was bouncing around the cottage roads and everything is fine. Came home started the car in the morning and the air bag light went on.= for no reason.

I am gonna check the connectors as well.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza WRX 5 speed manual
418 Posts
Ah, the infamous airbag light. The first time it came on for me the power plate behind the steering wheel needed to be replaced. Try honking your horn to see if it works. The second time, the airbag itself was shorted out along with some other ridiculously expensive electronic dohickey. Hopefully, it's a simpler fix like listed above. Good luck!

LIP89

1 - 9 of 9 Posts