Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Was hoping to get some insight as to why my airbag light has been coming on. I have a 2003 Forester X with approx. 113k miles on it. I bought the car in May and drove about 4k with no problems. In late Oct., I hit a deer that damaged the passenger side grille, hood, headlight, rad support, etc. On the back of the rad support upright is a sensor for the airbag system. It looked like the connector may have been pulled partway off, but the airbag light did not come on. I had my mechanic check it out when putting the car back together and he said he pushed the connector back on and everything looked good. Got the car back, and on two random occasions in the last 1k miles when I start the car, the airbag light stays on. It won't turn off the entire time I'm driving, but if I shut the car off and restart it, the light goes away and doesn't come back. We tried playing with the connector while the car was running and the light was off, and it wouldn't come on, which suggests to me the sensor wiring is OK.
Not sure if anyone has any suggestions on how to further diagnose the problem. It's pretty minor, but annoying on the rare occasion that it comes on. I drive the car at least 4 times a day every day, but it's only come on twice in two months, so it's a rare thing. Hoping someone might have a little insight into how I can straighten this out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Oh yeah! There's a connector under each seat you need to play with. Hold on, let me see if I can find more info for you. I have an '03 XS, had the same problem. This fixed it! Give me a few minutes.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Yep, confirmed. Check underneath the driver's and passenger's seat for a yellow wiring harness. Unplug and plug it back it. That should solve your problem! It did for me.

·
Registered
2007 FXT Manual
280 Posts
I've had the same issues with that connector.

I've unplugged it and plugged it back in several times.
As soon as I move into our new place I'm pulling the seat out and replacing it.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that was quick - you guys are awesome! I was afraid this was going to be some intermittent gremlin I'd be cursing years from now - I'll try the under-seat connectors tonight!

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Wow, that was quick - you guys are awesome! I was afraid this was going to be some intermittent gremlin I'd be cursing years from now - I'll try the under-seat connectors tonight!
No problem! I had the same worry when it happened to me. A quick search on the forum and found the answer. Happy to help, hope it does the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts