Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need to change my air cleaner element and passenger compartment air filter.

1) I bought a FRAM air cleaner element( for engine) instead of using a genuine Subaru part. In the manual. it says that it's recommended to use genuine Subaru part, if not, then "there is a possibility of causing negative effect to the engine". Is a FRAM good enough, what risk am I taking by not using the genuine part. The filter paper in the Subaru part, does seem to be thicker then the FRAM one.

2) For the passenger compartment filter, I couldn't find an after market part. However, it cost about $50 here in Toronto, Canada for the genuine Subaru part from the dealer. Where can I get an after market part for this that's a good quality. Is it also highly recommended to get the original genuine part?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Welcome to the forum here from Arcade, GA, USA!
A Fram filter will be fine for your Foz!
As far as the cabin replacement filter, I purchased mine through CarQuest (here in the US). I believe that Wix Filters makes it. If I remember correctly it was about $15.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I can't speak specifically about the Subaru or the Fram with regard to filtration capabilities and I have no idea how they compare to one another but it is important to keep as much dirt out of your engine as possible and if the Subaru is thicker, it may keep more dirt out or last longer but I imagine only an oil analysis would be able to conclusively determine that.

Since the vehicle is new, I would likely just use the Subaru filter and call it a day and wait to experiment with cheaper solutions until after you are out of warranty and although you may have laws in Canada similar to those in the U.S. that don't allow manufacturers to deny warranty coverage simply because you didn't use their particular Brand, you may have the responsibility to make sure that your alternative brand meets Subaru's requirements or specifications for air filtration as well which is what we have to do here in the U.S..

In the end, I will likely buy the Subaru filter when it is time for me to change it out just so I don't have to determine what their standards are and if the filter I want meets their manufacturer's specifications or not, I hope this helps, good luck with it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Welcome to the forum here from Arcade, GA, USA!
A Fram filter will be fine for your Foz!
As far as the cabin replacement filter, I purchased mine through CarQuest (here in the US). I believe that Wix Filters makes it. If I remember correctly it was about $15.
I also think it will be fine but I honestly don't know how picky Subaru may get if you did have a catastrophic failure so I will play it safe on something like the air filter, oil filter and so on.

Do they have specific standards for filters like they do with oil such as flow rate, filtration capabilities and so on that are printed on the box?

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,735 Posts
Hello and welcome. The air filter should be good enough(Fram). I've used them in the past and they worked OK. I can't answer your question about the cabin filter as this is the first time I've had a car with a cabin filter.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
Good quality aftermarket cabin air filters are available from logicalsource.com on the web.
I purchased five for $10.95 each and the filters fit and function as well as OEM. Purolator lists a cabin air filter for 09-10 Foresters but no local parts stores carry them. (There is no reason whatsoever for the OEM cabin air filter to cost $40 to $60-it is one of the smallest, most cheaply made cabin filters I have ever seen-pure profit. Don't even get me started on the $35 they want to charge to change the darn things:mob:

As for the engine air filter- there is a Fram in my car now as the stealership wanted $45 for the OEM part- which is nuts for a filter that I will change every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
Subaru's filter element is better quality than the Fram, period. The problem with Fram like filter is not just the element but how it fits, compare two side by side and you will notice the quality difference. Saying that it dose not mean that Fram will not due it's job, especially if it's in good condition (trust me some of the Fram filters that I seen in part store were just beat up). It's not just the air element that is important but how it fits, in the box in order for filter to be efficient it needs to seal the box as well as it can (it shoudl be glove fit) if not it will let some debris by, which will spike the silicon level in your engine, go to bobistheoilguy.com you will notice spikes in silicon levels and how it varies with relation to a quality of filter. Especially if the paper element is thicker I would op for Subaru Oem filter. I used both on different cars, but seeing the difference in UOA I choose to stick to oem now. As far as cabin filter goes Subaru one is cheap so if you can find replacement after market I would use that as I don't think there would be much difference. Saying that I do vacuum or blow the dirt out of the in cabin on regular basis rather than replacing it too often. One more good example of why sticking to Oem rather than Fram.

Why Its Not Just an Air Filter To Your Subaru - Seattle Subaru Repair

·
Registered
09 forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forest Air Filter

Hi snajper69,
Thanks for the advice. I do agree that the air cleaner element is a more vital component in comparison to the cabin filter. Just to be clear about terminology. When you mention Subaru OEM filter, you're referring to Subaru genuine part, right?
I sometimes get confuse , thinking OEM and "after market" parts both mean the same thing and both refers to a generic version or copy of the part.
Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
Yes sorry for the confusion. Subaru Air Element the one sold at your dealer.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
for the cabin filter, use logical-source.com, it's 10.25 plus shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts