Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cobb SF intake but no one stocks the Cobb filter oil where I live. I can easily get K&N filter oil as they are very popular here. I know I can order the Cobb oil and have it shipped to me but it tends to work out more expensive that way. Can I use K&N oil on my Cobb filter? Aside from maybe changing the colour I can't think of a reason not to.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
I have a Cobb SF intake but no one stocks the Cobb filter oil where I live. I can easily get K&N filter oil as they are very popular here. I know I can order the Cobb oil and have it shipped to me but it tends to work out more expensive that way. Can I use K&N oil on my Cobb filter? Aside from maybe changing the colour I can't think of a reason not to.
I would imagine they would be similar if not the same. I'm just GUESSING, I haven't seen the cobb filter to compare it too an K&N filter.

You could probably get the msds for both the K&N and the Cobb cleaning oil and compare.

I just did a nastysock search and turned up a post from Cobb saying to use the K&N Cleaning Cobb CAI, howto?

Things might have changed over the years but it seems to be accepted in the past.

dm

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Go for it. Just thoroughly clean the filter element of the old filter oil prior to re-oiling with the K&N stuff.

Good substitute I have used for the cleaning solution at many shops is simple green. In a shop setting it is much cheaper to buy 1/5 gallon jugs of concentrated simple green VS. the small cleaning solution bottles by the manufactures of the filters. Seems like it does just as good a job if not better and does not harm the fibers of the element.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Yes, It does a great job at breaking up the oil but is safe on the cotton fibers of the element. Simple green can be used for every thing from doing laundry, dishes, cleaning up oil, bug and tar remover..... It is a under rated product that is environmentally friendly.

I keep at least 1 gallon around the house for various uses.
Simple Green Concentrated Cleaner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts