Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Forester Sport with a bit over 12k miles I was wondering if I should just replace the air filter every 12k miles like I've been doing, just replace every 30k with an OEM, and what is everyone's opinion on the KN washable/reusable filter can I just buy one wash it every 15k miles or so and expect it to last 200k? Also does anyone have a link to the OEM air filter for purchase or what the part number I should be looking for is? Made the mistake of the dealer replace it one time with my last Forester and it cost me $80 parts and labor I would just use $12 purolator filters after that and do it myself but being this is brand new I don't mind paying an extra few bucks for an OEM filter assuming it's better.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I buy air filters at Wally World,NAPA or FLAPS. I think 12k is good interval more or less depending on conditions.

I would stay far away from KnN, don't trust them to remove fine dust.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
657 Posts
I just replaced the engine air filter on my 2018 XT. I used an OEM and it was $30 CAD from a dealer. I got the filter because I was at the dealer anyway buying a jug of Subaru Super Coolant, but in the future I think I will go back to aftermarket filters (eg Fram), because $30 is a bit steep.

The OEM filter looks like any other filter, but the build quality seems to be higher than that of the Frams I used to put in my other cars (going from memory). Most of the time I would just inspect the filter, and not on any sort of schedule. Sometimes I would just clean crud off the filter with compressed air or a toothbrush or something and put it back in.

I'm going to inspect/change the engine air filter on my wife's car, and the cabin air filters on both cars, some time this summer. I'll probably use aftermarket filters.

I will continue to use OEM oil filters on my XT though, because of the bypass pressure. I've read lots of stuff and am not convinced that I should use OEM or that aftermarket is okay. The OEM is about the same price so it's no big deal. My wife's car has a cartridge-type oil filter so I will use an aftermarket filter there too.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
719 Posts
1. I change filters at 25 - 30K miles unless I'm driving on desert dirt roads. Never any mpg impact.
2. Never used a KN filter; always used factory or NAPA Gold if it's made for my particular car.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Touring CVT
1,203 Posts
I replace my filters every year -- but I don't put many miles on them either.

·
Registered
2018 LTD w/eyesight
72 Posts
I will continue to use OEM oil filters on my XT though, because of the bypass pressure.
Wix 57055 has the same bypass pressures as the OE Subaru filter.
The Wix is a lot cheaper in Canada than the dealer's filter, and to me is better constructed.
Go to any independent parts supply house (not NAPA) and price them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts