Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air conditioning had not felt as cold as it should be lately so I picked up a bottle of 134a refrigerant from WalMart. I had the car running with air conditioning turned to max as it should be and started pumping away when I saw the gauge read 25 psi on the low side.

My question is, does anybody have a service manual or refrigerant specs for a 2000 Forester L? No matter how much I put in, it only read 25 psi which makes me wonder if the PCM/ECU keeps it that low as a spec. Either way, I went against my better judgement and kept pumping away assuming it was very low since the gauge had not changed.

450 grams (17 oz) of r134a later I found my AC to be nice and cool... Then I heard some moaning from my engine bay (for lack of a better word).

My guess is the PCM only regulates by monitoring low side pressure which is causing too much pressure/resistance in the compressor for the compressor clutch to hold.

I'd like to see some factory specs before I muck something else up. I hope I can find a shop that won't charge me an arm and a leg for refrigerant recovery if that's the case.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Tough to accuratley charge a system without both low and high side pressures. You want the hight side pressure to be roughly 20-30*F above ambient air temp.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tough to accuratley charge a system without both low and high side pressures. You want the hight side pressure to be roughly 20-30*F above ambient air temp.
Found the service manual. I definitely overcharged the beast. ~25PSIG low side was within normal operating limits. I do not have a high side gauge but I've got a pretty good idea it's not where it should be.

Now my options are:

1. Pay someone to recover the extra refrigerant .
2. Vent it with a screwdriver and make birds fall out of the sky.

Well I think the choice is obvious. Time to call around see who'll do it cheaper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts