Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the A/C to cycle off after about 10 minutes of driving? Mine does this all the time. The problem is that it takes another 10 minutes for the A/C to cycle back on. (The whole time I am driving) In the meantime the cabin is hot.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Low pressure switch cutting out sounds like to me. Might be time to add a can of refrigerant to charge it up again

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a do-it-yourself job?

Low pressure switch cutting out sounds like to me. Might be time to add a can of refrigerant to charge it up again

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it normal for an A/C system to need refrigerant? Or is it most likely a symptom of a leak in the system?

I bought one of those re-charge kits at Pep-Boys. The gauge that came with the kit showed the coolant level right on the edge of normal and low. This is will the A/C compressor was running. I added most of the can which brought the level to be in the center of the normal range on the gauge with the compressor running. Is this OK?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Yeah their sealed systems and if it was low that means there's a leak somewhere. Look for oily residue around fittings and connections. You could even put some teflon tape around the service ports on it to slow any leaks from them down too. If it lasts the summer its not to fast a leak so it's cheaper to just fill it once a year then repair it but if next week its short cycling again your going to have to repair it .. The level sound fine if its not cold enough add some more to get it more toward the high side of normal. Ideally you want 20* drop in temp from the air in car to air coming out vents 16 -18's not bad though. Sounds like you got it though way to go :Banane35:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The charge did not fix the problem. I stuck a thermometer in the vent. The outside temperature is 83F. Riding around the air from the vent measured 38-42 degrees F. The vent air stayed at that temp for exactly 10 minutes of driving. It then went to 90 degrees. I drove around for 30 more minutes. The temp mostly stayed at 90F, but went down to 60F for a few minutes.

Seems to me there is either moisture or air in the lines. I need a man with vacuum to fix this one. Any guess if the dealer would fix this right?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
The charge did not fix the problem. I stuck a thermometer in the vent. The outside temperature is 83F. Riding around the air from the vent measured 38-42 degrees F. The vent air stayed at that temp for exactly 10 minutes of driving. It then went to 90 degrees. I drove around for 30 more minutes. The temp mostly stayed at 90F, but went down to 60F for a few minutes.

Seems to me there is either moisture or air in the lines. I need a man with vacuum to fix this one. Any guess if the dealer would fix this right?
Dealer will have the tools and parts to fix it right but its gonna be a pretty penny..

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
Do you have the controls on "AUTO" or just set to keep the temperature at a specific level?

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Is it normal for an A/C system to need refrigerant? Or is it most likely a symptom of a leak in the system?

I bought one of those re-charge kits at Pep-Boys. The gauge that came with the kit showed the coolant level right on the edge of normal and low. This is will the A/C compressor was running. I added most of the can which brought the level to be in the center of the normal range on the gauge with the compressor running. Is this OK?
Because of engine vibration rubber hoses are used. Rubber hoses are porus and the refrigerant molecules eventually seep through. Because of this your system may need to be charged every 5+ years. All automotive system leaks a small amount.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts

Blow it out with nitrogen first, then vacuum. Water is freezing in the system and plugging the metering device. System then shuts down on low pressure until water thaws. Water in an A/C system also creates hydrochloric acid which is eating your system from the inside out.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the controls on "AUTO" or just set to keep the temperature at a specific level?
I don't use the auto feature. A/C is set to MAX.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blow it out with nitrogen first, then vacuum. Water is freezing in the system and plugging the metering device. System then shuts down on low pressure until water thaws. Water in an A/C system also creates hydrochloric acid which is eating your system from the inside out.
Wow! Did not know about the acid forming. Thanks. This job seems simple, with the right tools. Where can I buy a vacuum pump and related gauges, tools? Which pump do you recommend?

I hate to give it to the dealer. I can just see them making me pay for more than is wrong.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since recharging my A/C on myself, it has only gotten worse. I have an appt. tomorrow with my local Subaru dealer. Owww, it's gonna hurt. :chair:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The A/C is fixed. I did not take it to the dealer, I went to a local mechanic, instead.
The system had 2lbs of refrig. but only requires 20oz. (my bad)
Also, the compressor clutch was rust and not engaging.

He only charged me $70 so I am happy. :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I was going to guess a bad ECU.

Glad it's fixed!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The A/C is fixed. I did not take it to the dealer, I went to a local mechanic, instead.
The system had 2lbs of refrig. but only requires 20oz. (my bad)
Also, the compressor clutch was rust and not engaging.

He only charged me $70 so I am happy. :woohoo:
Yeah, I was going to post before, but you had already done it. DIY recharge usually doesn't work out well. One of the few systems on the car that I'd rather let a mechanic work on than DIY.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts