Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Subaru Forester X with 59,000 miles and when I turned on the air conditioning this week for the first time since last October, no cold air came through the vents. The fan belt off to the side of the compressor is turning when the a/c is on and when I put my hand on top of the compressor area, I feel cold air. I'm a newbie when it comes to autos in general, but I've read that A/C problems are expensive and tricky to diagnose. I would appreciate and comments or first hand experience with Subaru Forester A/C problems so I can make a decision on what to do next. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Can you tell if the clutch is engaging? Watch the front of the compressor with a/c on and off. Make sure that the clutch is spinning when on. Without a bit a knowledge and some guages, there isn't much you can do. Try to find a good deal on an a/c diagnosis. Most shops will do it for < $60. If the system needs to be opened up for any reason, replace the receiver/dryer.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem Solved

I just wanted to reply and say that I took the car into the shop and was told that the problem was the a/c compressor wire that had been worn down/chewed by a rodent or some small animal. It was suggested that I try placing moth balls under the hood to prevent mice etc from chewing on hoses/wires. I'm glad it wasn't anything too major.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Not sure what you could do for the clutch wire that would really help make it more rodent proof. Maybe wrap with extra tape or put some wire loom on it? Seems like a lost cause trying that with so many wires under the hood. Probably better to set traps externally under the car or something.

Once my belt started slipping under acceleration. After a few days when I got around to tightening it up I found a lower arm and paw from a mouse under there on top of the motor near the belt with no sign of the rest of it. I think it got in there one day at work and lost it's paw when I started to go home.

I had squirrels chew through my grill regulator hoses. Since I couldn't find any stainless braided ones I got this stuff that looked like a big long "spring" meant for hydraulic hoses (tractors, other large equipment) and put it on there with hose clamps. Working good so far.

Dang rodents!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts