Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've read alot of posts about air conditioner clutches that will not pull in. I have the same problem on 2 98 Foresters. If you push in on the clutch with a broom handle it will engage and work fine until it cycles again. I did'nt want to take the clutch apart and remove a shim as some have suggested. I used some pb blaster ( same as wd40 only better) and using a nozzel sprayed some into the clutch behind the pulley. DO NOT SPRAY THE FRONT OF THE PULLEY WHERE THE CLUTCH PULLS IN. Inject it in the back between the pulley and compressor. I noticed alot of rust dust on the clutch and I think that lubricating the clutch helped it pull in better. It worked for me on 2 vehicles with the same problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Innovative solution. Interested to hear whether it works for any length of time. Basic problem is the clutch gap reduces the field strength the clutch plate sees and force on clutch plate is reduced.

Clutch on a Subaru is easy to access. If you have an impact wrench, you can undo the 6mm bolt holding the clutch and pull the plate w/ a pair of screwdrivers. Remove a shim, and reinstall.

good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts