Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Forester '99 AT 2.5L non turbo, recently the Air Bag and the ABS lights went on, in addition the horn stopped working, all that at the same time. I've checked all the fuses and relays, both are OK. what can I do??. thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,813 Posts
I see that this is your first post, so welcome!

When the Air Bag light is on and the horn doesn't work, it tends to indicate a failure somewhere in the wiring that connects the steering wheel and the rest of the Forester. It could be as simple as a connector that's come unplugged (probably yellow, NOT green—if you see unplugged green connectors leave them alone!), or it could be the very expensive flexible cable called the "clock spring," which actually handles the movable part of the circuitry.

The ABS light adds a different twist to the situation. Since there shouldn't be any ABS-related stuff up in the steering wheel, this might be a good sign that the problem is not with the clock spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the welcome!!

I forgot to mention that this problem started when the steering had been repaired.

thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,813 Posts
Sounds like that might be it. At best a disconnected connector, at worst a broken clock spring. But either way, the shop that did the repair ought to cover it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tip, the horn and airbag troubles are fixed, but the ABS trouble still, Is there a common cause to that?, I'm thinking to get the wheel sensor cleaned... Could it fix the problem?

thanks again!

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
Welcome, if the ABS light is on, first check the ABS fuse. The exact location escapes me now but if you look in the lid of each fuse block's cover, there is a map as to what is what. Next I'd inspect each wheel sensor to be sure the wiring is not damaged in some way.

And welcome :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the welcome!
I've checked the ABS fuse and it's ok, but I found a broken ABS sensor on the front right wheel, please, does anyone knows how much does it costs? approx. because here in Bolivia, costs 380.- USD

once more, thanks :)

·
Registered
1997 Forester
42 Posts
Hello from me too. I have the same type of problem. ABS light is on, Airbag light is on and the horn does not work. ABS we got working in a workshop by replacing front ABS braces (dont know if i wrote it correct). But airbag and horn still does not work, also the clock does not work. We tried changing all of the components of airbag and the ring back of the steering wheel. This also did not help. So if anyone could tell me where the clock spring is or how to replace it or repair it. About the yellow wire too, what should be checked, where is it?

·
Registered
1997 Forester
42 Posts
So for now, i have discovered that sadly, the reversing lights are on the same fuse than ABS. I can put the fuse in, put then it pulls the car as hell to drivers side if i brake. We did diagnostics again and Bosch showed that other three sensors are also not functioning. Is there any other way to check them? I really do not want to believe that all other three are also dead. MOT is coming and i need at least the reversing lights, dont want to change any wires or that stuff to get it working. Airbag is also important because the light is on and the MOT guys does not like this. Horn... this not working, i can live with, as well as ABS, but since the light is on and affects MOT passing, then it is quite a big problem.
I ask again :), has anyone found a solution to this kind of problem?

·
Registered
1998 forester auto
3 Posts
did you find it

DId you fix the problem- i have the same problem and I have been doing tons of reading, I think it must be the clock spring but I can't find where to buy one. Looks like it requires pulling the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1997 Forester
42 Posts
No i have not fixed it. I tried clock spring, but i did not have a diagnostic tool to reset the error or smth. Maybe that was the issue. Anyway it did not work for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts