Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
4,721 - 4,738 of 4,738 Posts
I've confirmed that that 720Form GTF1 in 17x9 +35 fit over 4/2-pot calipers with LOTS of room to spare. Clearance is tightest on the rear strut, but there's still a decent gap.

Glad I tested these, as one of the adapters that was on the car has several cracks. Not sure if they were already there or if they're really brittle, because I had to give it a few good whacks to remove that one. Now I just need some taller tires, but still considering something a little higher offset, like Enkei TSV 18x8.5 +45. Otherwise, if I keep these, I think I'll need to roll the fenders a bit, because the old tires have rub marks and a 245/45-17 will be the same height as 245/40-18.

Front caliper:

Rear strut:

Rear fender:

Short tire gap...this is on swifts:

I'll get some better pics once I have get it back and cleaned up a bit.

I've confirmed that that 720Form GTF1 in 17x9 +35 fit over 4/2-pot calipers with LOTS of room to spare. Clearance is tightest on the rear strut, but there's still a decent gap.

Glad I tested these, as one of the adapters that was on the car has several cracks. Not sure if they were already there or if they're really brittle, because I had to give it a few good whacks to remove that one. Now I just need some taller tires, but still considering something a little higher offset, like Enkei TSV 18x8.5 +45. Otherwise, if I keep these, I think I'll need to roll the fenders a bit, because the old tires have rub marks and a 245/45-17 will be the same height as 245/40-18.

I'll get some better pics once I have get it back and cleaned up a bit.
Oh man, that's plenty of space. I have a set of SSR wheels with the specs you just stated sitting in my garage and I don't think they'll do any good on my SF. With the wheels on my SF now with tires mounted, I barely have any strut clearance in front. Must be the offset.

Oh man, that's plenty of space. I have a set of SSR wheels with the specs you just stated sitting in my garage and I don't think they'll do any good on my SF. With the wheels on my SF now with tires mounted, I barely have any strut clearance in front. Must be the offset.
I'm on GR2 struts, so that could play a factor. I know some struts have different diameters, but not sure what's what.

I'm on GR2 struts, so that could play a factor. I know some struts have different diameters, but not sure what's what.
From what I've read on this forum, your SG struts are better for clearance than the SFs at least in terms of allowing for taller tires. Otherwise, no difference in terms of distance from wheel to strut. Wish my SF had SG struts when I got it.

hey all just wondering if anyone knows if 17x8 +36 and 17x9 +33 with 225/45 and (235/245)/45 tires will fit an sf5 with tein superstreet coils that arent very low but have no camber adjustment? just looking to fill out my stock guards but think that the 9 wide rears might be a bit too big. thanks

hey all just wondering if anyone knows if 17x8 +36 and 17x9 +33 with 225/45 and (235/245)/45 tires will fit an sf5 with tein superstreet coils that arent very low but have no camber adjustment? just looking to fill out my stock guards but think that the 9 wide rears might be a bit too big. thanks
You do NOT want to run staggered wheels/tires on an AWD vehicle. Keep them all the same and use spacers/adapters if you are trying to fine-tune the fit front/back. Not sure how much space you'll have with coilovers, so someone else will have to comment on the 9" wheels.

You do NOT want to run staggered wheels/tires on an AWD vehicle. Keep them all the same and use spacers/adapters if you are trying to fine-tune the fit front/back. Not sure how much space you'll have with coilovers, so someone else will have to comment on the 9" wheels.
Ok cool, thanks for that. Just curious, why is a non square set not good for awd? more strain on one diff compared to the other i assume?

Ok cool, thanks for that. Just curious, why is a non square set not good for awd? more strain on one diff compared to the other i assume?
There are tons of posts on other forums about how this burns up the center differential, although I'm not seeing it mentioned much here. The issue is due to the outer tire diameter not being the same all around. Those rear tires will be taller than the fronts. Even if you got two sizes that end up with close to the same diameter, it's almost never exactly the same, and you will also be introducing differing widths (traction) and weights. The symmetrical AWD system on Subarus is designed for all 4 to be identical.

Some folks recommend just using a different offset between front/rear if you just want the look, but it means you can't fully rotate the tires, or not at all if you have directional tires (you'd have to swap the tires between wheels).

There are tons of posts on other forums about how this burns up the center differential, although I'm not seeing it mentioned much here. The issue is due to the outer tire diameter not being the same all around. Those rear tires will be taller than the fronts. Even if you got two sizes that end up with close to the same diameter, it's almost never exactly the same, and you will also be introducing differing widths (traction) and weights. The symmetrical AWD system on Subarus is designed for all 4 to be identical.

Some folks recommend just using a different offset between front/rear if you just want the look, but it means you can't fully rotate the tires, or not at all if you have directional tires (you'd have to swap the tires between wheels).
awesome, thanks a lot for your insight. first time owning a Subaru and its got performance upgrades/tunes so keen to make sure i know what im doing before doing hahaha.

Looking to upgrade wheels/tires on my 06FXT. Lowered on tein coilovers and currently running stock 16x6.5s with 215/60 tires. Looking to get something to fill the fenders better, how big of a wheel/tire setup can I run without rolling/pulling or excessive camber? Looking for a bit more offset and bigger diameter but nothing that will rub fender lip. I know nothing about tires so anything will help

Looking to upgrade wheels/tires on my 06FXT. Lowered on tein coilovers and currently running stock 16x6.5s with 215/60 tires. Looking to get something to fill the fenders better, how big of a wheel/tire setup can I run without rolling/pulling or excessive camber? Looking for a bit more offset and bigger diameter but nothing that will rub fender lip. I know nothing about tires so anything will help
I'm on 18x8.5 +44 w/ 245/45 tires and I think any lower offset or wider tires would be in danger of rubbing the fender lip. I'm not that low (Swift springs) so it's hard to say for sure. A little more negative camber could make a difference, but I'm almost touching the strut on the inside as it is. Coilovers are a different beast altogether, and you may actually have less room on the inside than a standard strut. I would think a +42 offset should still clear the fender, all else being equal, and give a little more inside clearance. I tried a 9" wide wheel with +35 offset and it was a lot of poke (see top of this page) but it was also a shorter tire so I didn't actually get any rubbing from it. A stock height tire would have rubbed in that scenario.

I'm on 18x8.5 +44 w/ 245/45 tires and I think any lower offset or wider tires would be in danger of rubbing the fender lip. I'm not that low (Swift springs) so it's hard to say for sure. A little more negative camber could make a difference, but I'm almost touching the strut on the inside as it is. Coilovers are a different beast altogether, and you may actually have less room on the inside than a standard strut. I would think a +42 offset should still clear the fender, all else being equal, and give a little more inside clearance. I tried a 9" wide wheel with +35 offset and it was a lot of poke (see top of this page) but it was also a shorter tire so I didn't actually get any rubbing from it. A stock height tire would have rubbed in that scenario.
Thinking of maybe 18x7.5 +48, with maybe wrapped with 225/40 not trying to go too wide, but maybe more offset to not rub struts

Thinking of maybe 18x7.5 +48, with maybe wrapped with 225/40 not trying to go too wide, but maybe more offset to not rub struts
Oh yeah, that should be plenty of space all around, unless those coilovers are super wide. No issues with fender for sure. What you're talking about is only 1/4" less clearance both inside and out vs. the stock XT wheels. Cut some cardboard or wood to like 1/4" wide and see if you can move it freely between the strut and wheel/tire. If so, they'll fit.

295/30 18x10.5 +7 on my JDM SF, and 245/40 18x9.5 +38 on the 04 XT

[/QU
Was going through this thread and this one ! For the 04XT what are the suspension details? Spacers for the rears? Any issues rubbing?

I have an 06 running Cygnus x-1, 5mm spacers in the rears to clear the top adjustable collar of the coilover. Wheels are 18 x 9.5 +38 and tires are 255/35. Front and rear camber is -1.5. Have some rubbing on the rears when turning.

Any tips?

4,721 - 4,738 of 4,738 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.