Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well spent 2 hours at the machine shop this afternoon got all the metal cut and drilled for the strut bottom lift. Still have some work to do on the drive train/unibody lift.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I plan to do the Drive train drop before the strut bottom lift. I still need to get a few more parts like a spare universal joint steering shaft. Also longer bolts for everything. I will post more pics of progress.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
190 Posts
Well I plan to do the Drive train drop before the strut bottom lift. I still need to get a few more parts like a spare universal joint steering shaft. Also longer bolts for everything. I will post more pics of progress.
How high a lift are you going? Im guessing 3 or more inches hence the drive train drop.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How high a lift are you going? Im guessing 3 or more inches hence the drive train drop.
Well I have a 1 inch lift so far at the strut top. The plan is to do 1.5 inch drive train and a strut bottom lift of 2.5 and what ever I get from larger tires.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Got the blocks for the lower control arm bushings drilled out the fit is perfect the blocks cover the same surface area that makes contact with the body.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
190 Posts
So what size tires do you paln on mounting? The strut bottom lift will allow for a taller tire (251/70/16 is the biggest I could cram in) but wont the opening of the wheel well still be your limiting factor or will the be sheet metal fabing going on?

Im looking forward to seeing your lifted Forester.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what size tires do you paln on mounting? The strut bottom lift will allow for a taller tire (251/70/16 is the biggest I could cram in) but wont the opening of the wheel well still be your limiting factor or will the be sheet metal fabing going on?

Im looking forward to seeing your lifted Forester.
I hope to fit a 30 9.50 in there but not real sure about it. I don't think I really want to do much more than rolling the fenders. So I think you are right the wheel well will limit me.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Front tire 27.4" with 2" lift.

Rear tire with 27.4" tire with 2" lift but before trailing arm 2" drop.

Got the blocks for the lower control arm bushings drilled out the fit is perfect the blocks cover the same surface area that makes contact with the body.
The only rubbing I get is against these lower control arm bushings at full lock.
With 30" tires it will be quite pronounced and at 30" the rear tire will barely fit in the wheel well if at all.

Not trying to talk you out of it,just trying to give you a heads up (I've contemplated this lower strut lift for awhile myself but think I'd stick with 28" as a max tire size).

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Front tire 27.4" with 2" lift.

Rear tire with 27.4" tire with 2" lift but before trailing arm 2" drop.

The only rubbing I get is against these lower control arm bushings at full lock.
With 30" tires it will be quite pronounced and at 30" the rear tire will barely fit in the wheel well if at all.

Not trying to talk you out of it,just trying to give you a heads up (I've contemplated this lower strut lift for awhile myself but think I'd stick with 28" as a max tire size).
Thanks I appreciate the input. The 30 may not fit this is new to me I have never tried this before I may end up with a 28 or 29 may have to test fit some tires. Some spacers may help with the contact with the control arm bushings.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
190 Posts
Tire size

This is what a 28"s looks like on my 04FXT. I dont have my 2 lift on yet but its pretty tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
190 Posts
Tire height is 28.1",tread width 7.1" and section width is 8.7"

After a quick measure of the rear wheel well it looks like 30.5" is all the space that you have to work with and the rears move off center under compression so that will add to shortening the gap.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts