Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SH X Premium 4EAT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Love the exhaust note my Nameless muffler deletes give my n/a SH. But I'm looking for a new resonator that will cut down any drone I have, make the sound a tiny bit quieter, yet will also provide a more pronounced and deep tone. I'm running stock EL Headers and I don't plan to replace them with UEL until I hit 200k on the odometer. The stock resonator/mid muffler is the size of a regular muffler already and since I have no intentions to increase the sound I'd imagine I'm looking for a pretty large one to replace it. If anyone has suggestions I'm interested to hear.

Off topic- This JDM Forester s/tb sounds fantastic IMO catless with muffler deleted. @4:00
https://youtu.be/T-taKFsW6EI?t=240

·
Registered
2012 SH X Premium 4EAT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had an epiphany this morning while driving around. Instead of removing the stock resonator I could put another smaller one behind it before the Y. Something small enough to not decrease sound too much but that will remove any existing drone. Maybe a straight-thru style?

·
Registered
2017 Forester
77 Posts
You could try a 12" or 18" resonator or glasspack style muffler added somewhere in the factory system. Not sure if there's enough room for that though tbh. Or could add a short but fat straight thru racing muffler like magnaflow 14156 to act as a resonator.

·
Registered
2012 SH X Premium 4EAT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I'm thinking: a straight thru for flow, fat so it kills drone, but retains the deep rumble I love when I'm step on it. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
936 Posts
Not a Forester, but my old Camry 4 cylinder noise went up considerably with just removing the factory resonator. MPG also suffered iirc 2-3mpg. Some back pressure is actually beneficial. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts