Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the radiator in my 98 Forester with manual transmission. All I can find are ones listed for automatics. I also have a 98 Forester with automatic and both radiators look identical except the auto has lines for the transmission cooler. I also noticed that the aftermarket radiators have the bottom locating pins attached. Does that mean that i don't have to reuse my bottom support bracket? ( It's rusted through anyway and I don't see it listed on any of the Subaru dealers parts breakdown) Thanks, Keith

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
You can use a radiator for a auto in a manual. preferably plug the holes for the cooler. You could also use the trans cooler lines for the auto as an auxiliary oil cooler for the engine(I have my '95 F150 5MT plumbed this way).

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
I would not use the bottom fittings for an oil cooler. The only reason I say this is that it is possible for the line inside the radiator to fail and allow the coolant and oil to mix. Not a typical problem on Subarus but common enough in other brands that I don't think it's worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
If you buy a set of upper mounts you can use the radiator from a 99-01 Forester or Impreza.

The part numbers on the upper mounts and cushions are:
- 45116FC050 (mount, need 2)
- 45106FA000 (cushion, need 2)

The lower mounts are the same...

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aftermarket Radiator

I've answered my own questions. A radiator for an automatic fits fine in a manual car. The bottom support that was rotted out is actually a part of the radiator and comes on the new one. Bought a new radiator on ebay for $99 and had it the next day because the vendor was close by. Worked out so well that I may get another one for my other Forester. Keith

·
Registered
2006 Forester Auto
145 Posts
How did you change the old radiator? I need to do the same thing. I have an AT. Was wonderting if you can get to everythign on top or need to take off the belly pan and get under it as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts