Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just got red 4/2 pot calipers.. i also got the STi brake booster n master cylinder.. is it overkill to get a MC brace? i dont plan on auto-x or anything.. just a daily driver.. but with my driving style n jersey traffic.. id like my brakes to respond n stop when i need it to.. i do take my turns fast at times n ive found myself goin 100+mph at times.. so if i need to stop or slow down quickly.. i want my forester to stop or slow down quick! so, aftermarket MC brace yes or no?
i have SS lines n ATE super blue on the way too..

also my calipers came with brand new WRX stock rotors.. any suggestions on pads? im lookin for low dust and low noise but have that bite im lookin for.. thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
Since you are already there...it wouldnt hurt to put one on. Not needed, but cant hurt. If you do, get the cusco..it seems that it is easier to install than the perrin.

As for pads...Hawk seems to be the most popular..low dust, and good bite. Carbotech bobcat, Project Mu, Axxis, Porterfield also get suggested from time to time.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for pads...Hawk seems to be the most popular..low dust, and good bite. Carbotech bobcat, Project Mu, Axxis, Porterfield also get suggested from time to time.
well hawks were def what i wanted til i read a lot of complaints bout them squealin.. i def dont want that...

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
I've got to install my MC Brace... I picked it up during the Perrin Garage Sale back in July and never installed it. I'll do it when I toss on the MC and booster assembly though.

Apparently it's not a big noticeable difference until you have to do some sort of evasive braking on the highway.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
well hawks were def what i wanted til i read a lot of complaints bout them squealin.. i def dont want that...

That's the HP+ that squeak, the HPS don't but they're not as good. I've been running Porterfield R4S pads all summer with good success. They work very well and are low (no) noise with minimal dust.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
I want one but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the cusco and perrin. I wish subtle came out with one, but his would probably be in the same price range. I wish I had a welder.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
I just have the STi MC and I don't think my pedal is squishy at all.

As for the MC brace, definitely get one. YOu will not notice anything around town, but on emergency or hard/abrupt stops you will. I made the mistake of trying mine out going 80mph on a slightly curving offramp. When I hit it I could feel the back end come around.

I bet it's one of those things where you don't really notice the improvement but you really notice it when it's removed and gone.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
407 Posts
My Hawk HP+ are usually silent. And they are more aggressive than the HPS.

But when they decide they want to make noise... lol get out your earplugs.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Just installed WRX MC(17/16) and Perin Brace.This was one of my best brake Mods that I did.I'm runing 4/2 Pot brake Calipers,Hawk HPS, ATE Blue fluid and SS lines. The brake feel was great and no more long travel. I can't wait to see if it makes any difference at the track this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts