Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. Things sure have changed since I last logged on here! :lol: Oh well, first post on the new board, here goes....

I absolutely loved the oval-tipped Prodrive axleback muffler I had on my old WRX. Unique, but inconspicuous. Low grumble when cruising, but screams under WOT. So I was pretty stoked when I heard it was available for the FXT.

Problem is, I have a Draw-Tite trailer hitch. Anybody know if the Prodrive muffler (or any other catback/axleback exhaust) will clear it?

From what I recall during installation of the hitch, the stock exhaust now hangs from a part of the hitch itself.

·
Registered
07 FXT Sports 5MT
360 Posts
pretty much no larger than OE exhaust is going to fit well with a trailer hitch

even Subaru's cat back states that it cannot be used with the hitch assy

there's just not enough clearance.

Jamie Thomas
Jamie at chaplins.com
[url=https://www.subarugenuineparts.com][img]https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/images/design/logo.gif[/img][/url]
[url]www.subiegal.com[/url]

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well so much for that!!!! :sad: Not even the WRX STi muffler?

By the way Jamie, I'm the one that ordered the F-STi springs (as well as spoiler & Momo knob) from you last week. Hope you've received my SubaruBucks.

Dave

·
Registered
07 FXT Sports 5MT
360 Posts
quasi888 said:
Well so much for that!!!! :sad: Not even the WRX STi muffler?

By the way Jamie, I'm the one that ordered the F-STi springs (as well as spoiler & Momo knob) from you last week. Hope you've received my SubaruBucks.

Dave

just got the mail minutes ago

quite a few mail in order here
bet one is yours!! :)

Jamie Thomas
Jamie at chaplins.com
[url=https://www.subarugenuineparts.com][img]https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/images/design/logo.gif[/img][/url]
[url]www.subiegal.com[/url]

·
Registered
859 Posts
The WRX prodrive fits with the OEM trailer hitch. You just need the longer hangers, and that's just to clear the bumper. I'd imagine most of the WRX specific axlebacks fit because the actually muffler sits further back and doesn't contact the hitch.

Frank

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well here's something new. Just got an email from Dan Anotnielli of Prodrive USA, saying the Prodrive FXT muffler should fit with the trailer hitch. Hmmmmmm.....

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I have a draw-tite hitch and I could not make the WRX Sti axle back fit. Even with longer hangers, there was not enough room for the muffler due to the position of the drivers side hitch assembly bracket.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
I remember reading that the Hayward and Scott exhaust for the Fxt, will fit with the factory tow hitch. The problem is finding a good source for the Hayward and Scott products outside of the UK.

·
Registered
399 Posts
N10S said:
I remember reading that the Hayward and Scott exhaust for the Fxt, will fit with the factory tow hitch. The problem is finding a good source for the Hayward and Scott products outside of the UK.
Daddy's SCP has Hayward adn Scott products.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got what you need

The Hayward and Scott axle-back does fit-I had it on my FXT (which has a factory trailer hitch) for about 8 months. If fact I will sell it to you if you are interested.

·
Registered
71 Posts
have the cobb on my xt, fits okay, not perfect, bought and extra one of the long hangers used right in the middle of the car and used it on the muffler, seems to be fine to me

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
i have the SPT 3" exhaust and an OEM trailer hitch. I brought it to a custom exhaust guy and he installed it real cheap. I added the hitch AFTER and it just barely fit and i heard some vibration because they were touching very tightly together. I went back and for 10 bucks he just lengthened the rods that connect to the hangers. no problems now!

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
I'm using a Stromung TBE (make the Cobb) with a Hidden Hitch. With regular length hangers the top of the tip was snug against the hitch. This significantly increased the low pitch "boxer" rumble of the exhaust.

The optimum solution was to use a Kartboy XL hanger on the first hanging point at the midpipe and at the muffler on the passenger side. I used a regular length polyurethane hanger on the driver's side of the muffler because the XL hanger caused interference on that side. This made it so the tip didn't touch (about 3/4" clearance) and the rear of the muffler BARELY touched the hitch now. This caused a rattle when the car was first started. I solved this by putting a little piece of rubber door trim from a Volvo on the pinch weld of the muffler and it made the rattle go away.

Here is a picture showing the Kartboy XL hanger and if you look closely you can see where the muffler barely touches the hitch.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
How about having an exhaust shop fabricate the whole system? Around here, that is cheaper than buying a cat-back, and you get local support and support the locals!

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
I got the STi muffler to fit with one long KB hanger on the inside and a stock one on the outside with a Draw Tite by slipping a big open end wrench over the muffler hangers and bending them until it fit and was level.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT LTD
113 Posts
Possible solution: I have seen this used on several other makes as the design of the stock hitch. The offending section of Tube of the trailer hitch is removed and a solid steel section of flat stock is put in above joining the two sections of tubing. Using flat stock slightly larger than the wall thickness of the tubbing would not compromise the strenght of the hitch. and the lenght of the overpiece is 3x the lenght of the cutout. Quite easy to have done and should not be expensive. I could do this in my shop for around $60 that includes the labor and materials if the hitch was brought in. Double that if we had to remove and reinstall the hitch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts