Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a session with top UK tuner Bob Rawle a couple of weeks ago and a few things came up that I felt I should post. This is more for amateurs like myself who don't know enough about tuning and might be in need of a laymans experience. I have a 99 UK S Turbo with a TD04 fitted. I also replaced the fuel pump for a Walbro along with Samco hoses and, this is the important one, an aftermarket EBC. The new EBC brings the boost on mighty fast but when the mapper tried to match the EBC to the ECU, the results were less than he felt were satisfactory. If mapping is an option in the future consider not getting a stand alone EBC and put the money towards the map. Also, using an outboard BCS means that the ECU can't step in if there is trouble, so you lose your safety as well. I was under the impression that the factory unit, which is programmed to 0.55 Bar but using outboard methods, can be pushed to 0.8 Bar before the ECU cuts the fuel, would not be able to go farther than 0.8 Bar. It turns out I was incorrect. The stock unit will go to the 1.3 Bar that Bob has programmed the ECU to take along with the stand alone EBC. I will be going back in 4 weeks for a second session and the factory boost controller will be re-plumbed on the day as it takes only minutes to do. I also had a misfire which seems to be reported by a few Subie owners at re-map or dyno time, even if they weren't aware of this before. Suffice to say, Bob dragged a lot more grunt out of my Foz but it's somewhat crude in it's delivery at the moment with the EBC I am using. The second session is going to cost and I might have saved that money had I been aware of the EBC issues and changed my plugs beforehand. I will post again after the next session.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
320 Posts
I had purchased the Grimmspeed EBCS to bring along to a recent re-tune just in case it was needed. I gave it to the tuner but he tuned the car very satisfactorily with consistant, steady boost using the the stock unit. Now I have the Grimmspeed solenoid for sale.
You'll be kicking yourself when the stocker dies and you can only reach 12psi:icon_razz:

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"You'll be kicking yourself when the stocker dies and you can only reach 12psi"

I haven't come across failed stock BCSs on this or any other forum, is this an issue worth attention Mark?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts

I haven't come across failed stock BCSs on this or any other forum, is this an issue worth attention Mark?
I have yet to personally see a failed stock BCS.

If used the way it is used from the factory (ie less than 70% DC), you should have zero reliability issues. I'm sure its reliability tested at near 100% DC.

I've also used the stock BCS to controllably boost to 25 psig. The stock BCS system works perfect in the hands of a tuner that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
320 Posts
The stock BCS system works perfect in the hands of a tuner that knows what they are doing.
Completely untrue. It's very common, especially on older cars with higher mileage, for the stock bcs to completely **** the bed. I've tuned cars that couldn't reach 14psi with 100% duty cycles. This is a pretty common problem. You are very lucky if you haven't come across it yet.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
320 Posts

Yes it's very common problem. Run a search on any of the boards, you should find many threads on the subject.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Just FYI, the OP is talking about a standalone EBC that is just set on its own without any ecu control of the wastegate.

The grimmspeed is just a 3 port that replaces the stock one and is still controlled by the ECU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts