Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Foester at
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am new here and have been searching on and off this fourm and am having trouble finding what I am looking for. The similar questions on here I found had a lot to do with specs and stuff I didnt get so I will start my own thread here.

What are some web sites to get a good limited slip rear end from? I tried to browse the Cusco Kaaz quaife websites and got no where same with ebay. I was wondering if there are any members that have ordered an aftermarket differential they are happy with and want to share.

I have a wrx and am going to sell it and get a forester, I have a sports can and it has seen more mud than drag strips. Also need somthing a little bigger to tow with. I have 2 options, I have neen trying to figure out if all forester S type come with a Vlsd or lsd and got a lot of mixed feedback as well. I heard that alol s types do, and read people say that only winter package, or foresters with all disc breaks do.

My goal is to just get one with an lsd already in just to keep me happy, but if I can figure out if I would save money and get a better rear by getting a L model and adding my own I will.

Any tips will be taken thanks.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
all the xt foresters have center and rear lsds, not sure of the s model. however the front is the one you want to replace, its an open diff.

the jdm 5speed hlsd is where its @ but cost major money to open up the trans and install. perfect if you are already rebuilding though!

btw what are you looking to tow w/ the forester. it might not be the vehicle of choice as a tow vehicle...

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
As I recall, the FXT's are only rated for 3,500 lbs behind it. Granted I've pulled ~2000 behind mine plus about 500 lbs in vehicle and moved along just fine and dandy. Just keep a little extra distance for stopping.

As for the LSD question, there was a member some time ago that ran a Cusco rear and was a HUGE fan of it. The foresters use the same R160 rear diff as the WRX's and basically every suby except for STi's.

·
Registered
2002 Foester at
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the delay, I did read that the lsd is the same as the wrx. which does pretty good, somtimes it is not strong enough, but playing in the mud or sand in a forester it would work great.

As for towing it would be work related mowing lawns and I just need space for chainsaws and stuff without destroying my car, going to the other coast surfing stuff like that. I am not towing a boat or anything, just a small trailer. I love my car, but I just need a suv or truck. And I have always loved subaru.

My list as I want in a suv is good gas milage, 4wd, my cousin is always fourwheeling and I want somthing that I can just have fun with and bigger than my car. A forester is somthing I have always liked and passes my test.

I can work on cars, I recently helped a friend rebuild his rear end in his truck, I have replaced a head gasket in an old porsche I had, I have heard that the older foresters have hg problems at around 100th. miles so that is no problem. But if I get one I would like to get it with the lsd in it, or get a cheeper forester and get aftermarket lsd and install myself. What do you guys think would be a better choice? Thanks for the help/.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I have found in all of my past cars, if possible, buy a car that has what you want in it already. It is cheaper than building it. I thought that the higher line cars had LSD's; xt's, ect. When you find one you want, call a dealer while on site. Give them the vin and they'll be able to tell you what you want to know. I am fairly certain none of the base model cars will. gl

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
The foresters use the same R160 rear diff as the WRX's and basically every suby except for STi's.
Are you saying if I find a SG WRX rear diff I can swap it for my 2003 X rear diff and have a LSD?

(oh please oh please oh please)

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
2003 XS has LSD, though I have no idea how swappable it might be. It and disc brakes were what made the XS vs. X decision a no brainer for me.

I suspect that this difference might persist through most if not all of the SG model years. You can verify the specs on pretty much all Subarus at cars101.com.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Are you saying if I find a SG WRX rear diff I can swap it for my 2003 X rear diff and have a LSD?

(oh please oh please oh please)

I don not think so. I think the gear ratios are different in WRX's

·
Registered
2002 Foester at
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would the ratio be different even though it is the same lsd they use in both? Because wrx rears are not that hard to find and would be cheeper then new. It would be nice.

Are there any good websites that sells a diff that locks up both tires when needed? If I highside, or whatever when one tire in the front is in air and one in the back is up I would like to know it will make it out. Maybe I will that the cheep way out and buy a rope haha.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
2003 XS has LSD, though I have no idea how swappable it might be. It and disc brakes were what made the XS vs. X decision a no brainer for me.

I suspect that this difference might persist through most if not all of the SG model years. You can verify the specs on pretty much all Subarus at cars101.com.
Very cool. After tires and a dozen other items on the maintenance/mod list, I just might start hunting junkyards for an entire XS rear end.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
would the ratio be different even though it is the same lsd they use in both? Because wrx rears are not that hard to find and would be cheeper then new. It would be nice.

Are there any good websites that sells a diff that locks up both tires when needed? If I highside, or whatever when one tire in the front is in air and one in the back is up I would like to know it will make it out. Maybe I will that the cheep way out and buy a rope haha.
I've done some cursory searches and lockers don't seem to be a hot Subie item. If they were I probably wouldn't be asking about LSDs. =]

I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Being that I frequently punish my Foz off-road (in mud, dirt, rocks, sand, etc.) I can say that it does very well UNTIL you get the infamous diagonal spin. If the front left and rear right (or FR and RL) loose traction due to having them up in the air, or crossing a rut at an angle, you'll be stuck, or you'll be throwing it in reverse to build up more speed to cross it. The rear LSD works (barely), but not enough to actually go through the trouble of swapping one in.

Here's a video below showing my Foz (with rear LSD) trying to pass a deep rut at an angle. I eventually conquer it (using a combination of wheel placement and approach), but the rear LSD really didn't do anything to help, it's weak. If anything, having the rear LSD with open front diff make it "challenging" and "entertaining" to say the least. lol.

YouTube - More Forester Offroading

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
+1 for bluefox. Even with just 1 rear tire off the ground, the LSD wouldn't get the car moving again (spinning the diagonal front as well). The stock lsd isn't worth the bother of swapping it.

Also on diff ratios, the ratio is determined by the ring and pinion gears, the LSD mounts to the big ring gear. Most aftermarket LSD's are sold bare so you swap it in reusing your housing and oem r&p. So you could take any LSD designed for an R160 rear diff and swap it in, however it's not exactly going to be the easiest swap.

Theres a trick that works pretty well, you drive through the brakes and it equalizes the 2 sides so that its less likely to spin and works similar to how the "virtual LSD" works with the newer VDC equipped cars.

You could also look for a phantom grip style auto-locker, which would lock both rear axles together when slipping. However, they're not really great on pavement. Much cheaper than other options (and there are even cheaper versions of this):
Phantom Grip

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT 5MT
33 Posts
Did anybody install a helical (torsen, truetrac, quaife, etc.) diff in a Forester (front, center or rear)?

Nevermind, I found plenty of posts in this forum about this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
12 Posts
+1 for bluefox. Even with just 1 rear tire off the ground, the LSD wouldn't get the car moving again (spinning the diagonal front as well). The stock lsd isn't worth the bother of swapping it.

Also on diff ratios, the ratio is determined by the ring and pinion gears, the LSD mounts to the big ring gear. Most aftermarket LSD's are sold bare so you swap it in reusing your housing and oem r&p. So you could take any LSD designed for an R160 rear diff and swap it in, however it's not exactly going to be the easiest swap.
This was super helpful. I'm new to diffs and was wondering why none of the gear ratios are listed on aftermarket LSDs! Now I know.

-jhoward

1 - 15 of 15 Posts