Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 forester X with the factory green coolant that is due to be changed. I have purchased prestone extended life antifreeze that claims to be safe with all vehicles and aluminum engines. I plan to add the required subaru conditioner as well and use distilled water in a 50/50 mix. The prestone antifreeze is phosphate and borax free so I am assuming it is the same quality green stuff that subaru sells. Am I safe with this antifreeze or is there something unique with the subaru green stuff and a reason to buy that instead?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,743 Posts
Many here will tell you to use only the Subaru coolant. To my surprise, when I had the coolant changed last summer, my trusted Subaru dealership shop used Shellzone coolant with the Subaru conditioner. They also added Red Line WaterWetter. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
With all the paranoia regarding head gaskets failures, I use Subaru coolant. I also added conditioner from the dealership per their suggestion, I checked with an experienced local Subaru shop and they approved of it.

Stan

·
Administrator
38,743 Posts
$28 per bottle Subaru coolant will not save a poorly designed headgasket from failing.
Agreed, but I think the reason most members say to use only Subaru coolant is for the warranty issue. If the head gasket fails, less BS to deal with. :confused:

As I posted earlier, my trusted Subaru dealership shop used Shellzone plus the Subaru conditioner & not the Subaru coolant. I don't think a Subaru dealership shop wouldn't use something that could be a problem down the road for them. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Agreed, but I think the reason most members say to use only Subaru coolant is for the warranty issue. If the head gasket fails, less BS to deal with. :confused:

As I posted earlier, my trusted Subaru dealership shop used SHELLZONE plus the Subaru conditioner & not the Subaru coolant. I don't think a Subaru dealership shop wouldn't use something that could be a problem down the road for them. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
I'm not sure that shellzone actually satisfies the warranty requirements. Unlike the subaru and prestone coolants which are 0 silicate, the shellzone is just "low silicate". Peak coolant is also "low silicate". Not sure what effect that would have however.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,152 Posts
I have purchased prestone extended life antifreeze that claims to be safe with all vehicles and aluminum engines. ?
Just make sure it is not a DexCool clone. If it is DO NOT USE IT

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
As so many others have said, I stick with the factory coolant and the factory filters just to avoid any hassle if something breaks under warranty.

I can't imagine an aftermarket supplier going to bat with Subaru for you if Subaru said their product caused a problem.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not the DEXCool type. I think i'm safe using the Prestone extended life coolant. When I go to the dealer later to pick up the coolant conditioner i'll ask what they think ..... but i'm sure I know what they will say. But who knows, they have been pretty straight forward and honest with me so far. Also, although this coolant is rated for 5 years 150K miles, I'll be changing it every other year along with the conditioner seeing as I don't put that many miles on my car. Maybe i'm a bit paranoid but coolant is cheap so why take any chances and I figure the additional installions of the subaru conditioner will help prevent any future HG issues.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X
50 Posts
I'm so paranoid about the headgasket issue from reading about all these failures, I think I'm going to request that I get to 'physically witness' unopened, seal intact, original subaru coolant and unopened conditioner being placed in my vehicle when its serviced. Its not healthy to be this paranoid! LOL! ;)

·
Administrator
38,743 Posts
I'm so paranoid about the headgasket issue from reading about all these failures, I think I'm going to request that I get to 'physically witness' unopened, seal intact, original subaru coolant and unopened conditioner being placed in my vehicle when its serviced. Its not healthy to be this paranoid! LOL! ;)
I had my coolant changed at a large Subaru dealership shop. I figured I should have some of the same coolant at home so I could top up the coolant level. The parts guy brings out a gallon of Shellzone coolant (concentrate). I asked if that was the correct coolant for my '03 & '07 Forester? He said it's the only green coolant they use at the shop.

Bottom line. Do you really know what coolant was used? :wink:

Bobby...

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Coolants purchased at local parts stores now-a-days are compatible with other coolant types. I would think that if a coolant changeover is done, any of the top tier coolants would serve you well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts