Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family and I fled Tacoma for the Teanaway region of the cascades, where the sun shines yesterday. Took our SH with stock everything up a gravel road, huge pot holes, lots of gravel waves. Didn't hear anything bad, took some pot holes at speed (25mph) some slowed down for. Swear the ones we took slowly were worst.

So, now that I'm home, what should I check. I'll make sure there are no fluids leaking, but do I need to check the suspension or anything else?

I'm a beginner at all of this...

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Yeah, stuff like that isn't bad at all. It's when you slam a rock at speed (35+) or hit a deep hole (enough to swallow the wheel) or etc that causes problems.

Water crossings pose a separate set of issues. Do not cross any water higher than the bottom of the car, and even then, do not cross unless it is perfectly still and you have walked it to verify the depth and hardness of the bottom. Any higher and you'll have radiator fans digging in to your radiator, and if you haven't removed the snorkus, water coming in to your engine! :frown:

As far as wavy gravel/dirt... just remember the bigger the waves, the slower you go. In some cases, very slow. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
Do not cross any water higher than the bottom of the car, and even then, do not cross unless it is perfectly still and you have walked it to verify the depth and hardness of the bottom. Any higher and you'll have radiator fans digging in to your radiator, and if you haven't removed the snorkus, water coming in to your engine! :frown:

You mean like this:

We also took a stock, brand new Forester across that same stretch by putting on a blind:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Subaru4wdclub#p/a/u/2/gy4Z2ZQ8kI4

You can cross a reasonable depth of water if you take care; just remove your fan fuses and allow your disc brakes to cool first.

Subies are tough so just a quick visual inspection underneath after some offroading is a good idea.

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
It the "box" that the air intake passes through before getting to the filter. Some models have it inside the fender others have it in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
You mean like this:
YouTube - Subaru Forester goes snorkeling!

We also took a stock, brand new Forester across that same stretch by putting on a blind:

YouTube - Subaru4wdclub's Channel

You can cross a reasonable depth of water if you take care; just remove your fan fuses and allow your disc brakes to cool first.

Subies are tough so just a quick visual inspection underneath after some offroading is a good idea.

Of course, I meant a totally stock car without a blind. :wink: Most people would not think to do that.

I really want a snorkel for my Outback... need to rig the fan disconnect wiring as well.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
To answer your question:
1. a nice car wash is a good start. When I go off road I usually stop at a wand wash and spend $2 washing the crap off before I do it again in my driveway.
2. listen to your brakes. I had a stone caught between my rotor and metal protective plate. Easy and cheap fix if you catch it early.
3. Check the expensive piece of plastic under your engine. This is when a skid plate shows its worth.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts