1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 2015 Forester that I actually like. However, I really want:
  1. Apple Car Play
  2. Rear View camera that I can see (it's often obscured by the sun)
  3. Dash Cam (rear view recording would be nice but not required)

I've been looking at buying a new Forester, but honestly my only objection is the electronics and it's very expensive to buy a car when there's nothing wrong with it. In my first car, the dealer put in aftermarket stuff and it was a total disaster. Ultimately it didn't matter because the car died the day I traded it in and the dealer said that it was headed to the auction.

If I replace the stereo with an after market stereo and add dash cam/improved rearview cam, will this have a significant negative effect on the sales value of the car? I think I can get some nice stuff for $1000-$1500, which is far cheaper than $20k for a new car (after trading this one in).

Just trying to understand my risk of loss of value.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,300 Posts
First, if you replace your head unit you'll get both CarPlay/AAuto and a bigger screen for your backup camera. That's what I did with my 2015 Premium. For the dash cam, of course, you're on your own.

I had a Sony XAV-AX-5000 installed (see the thread https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/infotainment-upgrade-2015-2-5i-premium-802437/) and it looks and works like factory equipment, aside from the routing of the USB pigtails, the addition of the Sony microphone, and the disabling of the original Aux and USB ports.

My previous cars that had upgraded audio systems sold for about the same as they would have with their original stereos in working condition -- but the upgrades may have helped the cars sell faster, because they added capabilities the cars didn't originally have. I believe that will be true in the Subaru's case as well -- there are no 2015s with 7" screens and AA/CarPlay as original equipment. Plus you can "throw in" the original HU as an incentive.

IMO, a clean install of excellent equipment will not deduct value, may add some, and may also help make the car more desirable in the aftermarket. It will also make your car a lot more enjoyable to own and drive, if my experience is any example. Upgrade the speakers too, of course.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts