Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to look around on the forums and from what I've seen, the wider ski/snowboard racks won't fit on the 2009/2010 Forester when using the aerobars.

I'm curious because ski season is here and I'm about to buy some crossbars and a ski rack. Does anyone have any idea of what will fit the Subaru aerobars? Should I just not get the aerobars and get rounder crossbars instead? Maybe I should just buy a smaller rack?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my thule ski/snowboard rack fits great... don't know what the potential problem would be?
Is that with the Subaru brand aero crossbars on a 2009/2010?

I can't find the thread now, but before I noticed that someone couldn't fit the wider racks onto the Subaru aero crossbars. They were basically too wide. The width of the rack was less than the rails, but you couldn't attach stuff to the outer edges of the Subaru crossbars because of the shape. I'll try to find that thread.

Wow, Mt Baker just opened up after a dumping of snow... I need to get on this! Actually my snowboard fits just fine with a back seat down, but these darn skiers always want to ride with me.

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
Is that with the Subaru brand aero crossbars on a 2009/2010?

I can't find the thread now, but before I noticed that someone couldn't fit the wider racks onto the Subaru aero crossbars. They were basically too wide. The width of the rack was less than the rails, but you couldn't attach stuff to the outer edges of the Subaru crossbars because of the shape. I'll try to find that thread.

Wow, Mt Baker just opened up after a dumping of snow... I need to get on this! Actually my snowboard fits just fine with a back seat down, but these darn skiers always want to ride with me.
yup... 2009+ OEM crossbars with the wider thule 6 ski/4 snowboard rack fits on mine.

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
I was looking for a link but instead I just learned that the new Thule racks all now come with universal mounts.

My 725 rack is about 3 years old and mounts with the old c36 adapters to the oem aero crossbars flawlessly. I was lucky, they happened to fit my new car too.

I can not comment on the fitment of the new setup- it very well maybe too wide with different, newer larger mounting clamps. The rear is pretty tight, and I could see an issue if you were using a larger style clamp. I was unaware they had changed the mounting.

My apologies if I lead you astray.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay, so I've definitely confirmed most ski racks are not too wide for the factory aero bars.

Here's a different question though: should I go with the aero bars? I can get them for $150.

Right now I only see myself using them for skiing. Any other crossbar system would be noiser and more costly.
If I get a canoe or kayak in the future, I can upgrade then.

Do the OEM aero crossbars sound like the right fit for me? Will they be tall enough if I have big snowboard bindings?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally bought the OEM aero crossbars. They seem really sturdy. I also like how easy I can take them on and off (I'm guessing 5 minutes or less total). Now I don't have to take the ski rack off (which is a huge pain) - I can just take the bars off.

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
I finally bought the OEM aero crossbars. They seem really sturdy. I also like how easy I can take them on and off (I'm guessing 5 minutes or less total). Now I don't have to take the ski rack off (which is a huge pain) - I can just take the bars off.
thats exactly what I do- the Thules stay mounted to the cross bars and I just install them when it's time to go.

But be sure to remove, clean up the hardware and re-install the rack once a winter to be sure none of the hardware seizes up. Those little screws, nuts and bolts get wet, frozen, salted and then they stick and it gets tough to remove them in the spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could you share some information where you got those crossbars?

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Premium
18 Posts
Hi, I have a 2010 Fos w/ aero bars, Thule FTW! I've just got my Thule pull top snowboard rack that fits 4 snowboards 6 ski's and it pulls to the side of the vehicle and it works wonders, that way you don't have to climb on top and chance scratching your car...

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
I have bought aero cross bars and Thule Ski rack 725
This Ski rack is 1/2 inch wider and cannot fit my cross bar
Just 1/2 inch makes this good ski rack useless for my Forester 2010

Maybe somebody solved this problem?

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts

Thats those new mounts Thule is using... Try to find the old style Thule mounts p/n c36, they wrap around the crossbar and are a perfect fit.

The new style is much more universal but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I could see how it would be too wide for our roofs with the 725.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Thats those new mounts Thule is using... Try to find the old style Thule mounts p/n c36, they wrap around the crossbar and are a perfect fit.

The new style is much more universal but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I could see how it would be too wide for our roofs with the 725.
Thanks for the advice. I will keep it as another possible solution
I have FM1 mounts and would not spend 25$ for c36 . I am thinking as an alternative solution to drill another hole in 725 rack frame - just 1/2 inch apart of the original one. I just need to find plastic bush for mounting bolt (do not want to break out and move the original one attached to original hole).
I think it will be cheaper and possible solution.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
13 Posts

I just experienced this same problem with an OLD stock Thule 725. The aero-cross bars have a large bracket on each end intruding into a lot of the actual cross bar.

I solved the problem by buying the NEWEST Thule 91725. These have the clamps mounted more inboard on the rack and the clamps are narrow profile. They fit with room to spare on the aero-cross bar.

Drilling a hole and moving the clamps would work too..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts